Lucy
Studio City, California

Costa Rica

Costa Rica with a 7 year old boy!

Trying to figure out a week stay for summer with 2 adults and 2 kids around the same age. Should we rent an airbnb or a hotel? I hear we should do the coast and the jungle.  Where do I start?

Hello Lucy!

I would say you fly into the Liberia Airport and visit the North Pacific zone is full of beautiful beaches. I wont recommend Tamarindo as the insecurity has increased in the last years here in this beach. There are good restaurants, bars, sodas, as well as supermarkets in case you need to go and buy some supplies, but you better stay away during the night. However, Guanacaste has many outstanding hotel and restaurants/bistros/bars alternatives. Let me recommend a few beaches nearby: Flamingo Beach Resort & SpaOcotal BeachPlaya ConchalPlaya Grande, and El Coco. I think you can find better room accommodations through airbnb but hotels are also a good option. If you want I can recommend a few 4 or 5 star hotels, (kids friendly) that I have stayed in the past. Located very close from Guanacaste, there is an amazing forest named Monteverde Cloud Forest a must see place to visit for you and your kids. A few hotel suggestions are:  Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast MonteverdeFicus Sunset Suites and Hotel and Monteverde Lodge & Gardens. There is a beautiful restaurant on the top of a tree called Tree House that you cant miss if you visit the area. I will recommend you rent a 4x4 for this jungle trip.

If you love surfing and you have time drive down to Puntarenas (also very close from Guanacaste), you cant miss Mal Pais and Santa Teresa. I highly recommend Villas Hermosas but there are many good options of bed and brekfasts in the area.

Hope this helps! Pura vida!

PS: Unable to upload pictures, the system did not allow me to.

1. Liberia Airport (attraction)
  2. Guanacaste (region)
  3. Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa (hotel)
  4. Ocotal Beach (attraction)
  5. Playa Conchal (attraction)
  6. Playa Grande (attraction)
  7. El Coco (attraction)
  8. Monteverde Cloud Forest (attraction)
  9. Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde (hotel)
  10. Ficus Sunset Suites and Hotel (hotel)
  11. Monteverde Lodge & Gardens (hotel)
  12. Tree House (restaurant)
  13. Puntarenas (attraction)
  14. Mal Pais (city)
  15. Santa Teresa (attraction)
  16. Villas Hermosas (attraction)

I think I would do the coast which is close enough to the jungle.  My grandson's girlfriend rented a house in the Tamarindo area for a month.  It had a pool and was a good base for going to the beach or doing adventure type things like zip lines, snorkeling or wildlife tours.  If you fly into Liberia Airportyou won't need to do too much driving.

1. Tamarindo (city)
  2. Liberia Airport (attraction)