vicki
Rochester (New York)

vicki from Rochester (New York) asked

places to stay for a week to see monkeys and hummingbirds

What time of the year is best? I want one week in the rainforest to see monkeys and hummingbirds and one week on the ocean with beach view. Need a refrig. Need to rent a jeep. It is me and my husband in our 50s. $500-$600 per week. Like rustic.

Costa Rica

Ross from Fort Collins

Ok I love CR but it is very touristy :( i have been 6 times so i can help! avoid Jaco like the plague unless going to Montezuma (my 3rd pick)! Arenal isn't erupting any more and la fortuna is kinda cool but without the valcano you can do everything there elsewhere, and Manuel, really!?? He asked for non touristy area!!! I think i may be the only minimalist, budget, non touristy member lol!

Your best bet is the Osa Peninsula! It's the best place in CR hands down! The beauty is unmatched and it's the most biologically deverse place on earth! Get supplies in Puerto Jimenez and drive past Cabo Matapalo to some of the vacation rentals out there! Then just drink eat and enjoy being one of the only people that go to this beautiful country..... And actually see it!

Second place goes to puerto viejo

1. Jaco (city)
  2. Montezuma (city)
  3. Arenal (city)
  4. Osa Peninsula (region)
  5. Puerto Jimenez (city)
  6. Cabo Matapalo (attraction)
Terry from Buffalo (New York)

The weather changes depending on what coast.  

In the Pacific side the best time is late November to April - with a strong preference to November and early December as prices are lower and everyone is excited because tourist season is about to start.   Santa Teresain the Nicoya Peninsula is a jewel - worth the hunt for the right beach pad...

The jewel of Costa Rica though is Osa Peninsula but sadly it is tad expensive because of its remoteness.  There are budget accommodations there but truly one needs to stay in the rain forest and away from town to really enjoy it.  One place to check out could be Danta Corcovado Lodge.  On your way to Osa you will pass many beach towns, with Uvita being one of my personal favorites.

In the Caribbean side, best time is August to November.  In this area your $$$ with give you way more value as it is among the least expensive areas of Costa Rica.  It is very bohemian and shares a hippie vibe.  Gorgeous beaches.  You might want to combine with a visit to Rio Bananito that will give you deep rainforest and it is on the way.  But Puerto Viejo de Talamanca in the Caribbean has the rain forest and sloths too as the rain forest literally butts with the beach.  And awesome way to get from San Jose to the Caribbean side is to White-water Raft your way down the Pacuare River - there are many outfitters that will do that - they drive your bags as you raft...  

As a side note... if on the Caribbean side, a tad further south from Puerto Viejo is the Panamanian Border and the Bocas del Toro islands...  amazing onto themselves.  And best of all... there is a direct flight in Nature Air back to San Jose.

Hope this helps.

vicki
Thanks for replying so fast. WOW we are almost neighbors. I have the Flu so I will keep intouch Thanks Vicki

1. Santa Teresa (city)
  2. Nicoya Peninsula (attraction)
  3. Osa Peninsula (region)
  4. Danta Corcovado Lodge (hotel)
  5. Uvita (city)
  6. Rio Bananito (attraction)
  7. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  8. Pacuare River (attraction)
  9. Bocas del Toro (region)
Scott from Boca Raton

Arenal Observatory Lodge in La Fortuna. Jaco is quaint beach town.

henry from Costa Rica

Hi Vicky, as a Costarrican , it will be a pleasure to have you here,many thanks for visit us, let me tell you can see monkeys, iguanas and lots of vegetation in many places, personally I would recommend the Monteverde area or fortune of San Carlos (Costa Rica) where you can also admire volcanoes too.

If you want to go to the beach, depends what you want to see, nice views and quite waves could be Guanacaste or even the central Manuel Antonio, in case you want a little more vegetation and beaches with stronger waves would recommend The Caribbean.

Another options could be Montezuma, Santa Teresa.It is important you know which airport you will land, it is San Jose or Liberia depends which one suggestions change.

About when is the best time to come, I say past eastern or starting April, any thing else I will be glad to try to help you.

1. Monteverde (city)
  2. San Carlos (Costa Rica) (city)
  3. Guanacaste (region)
  4. Manuel Antonio (region)
  5. The Caribbean (attraction)
  6. Montezuma (city)
  7. Santa Teresa (city)
  8. San Jose (city)
  9. Liberia (city)
Mary Margaret from Bronx

The west coast definitely you'll see monkeys, iguanas & snorkeling is great ! They have "Econo-lodges"  which are inland, in the rain forest , also a great experience hiking tours, rainforest trail , canopy tour , horse back riding.............

vicki from Rochester (New York)

Thanks for replying so fast. WOW we are almost neighbors.

I have so many ? but I have the flu right now so will keep intouch.

Thinking about going in middle April. Am using Delta miles

Have a Great night   Vicki

Mary Margaret
feel better !

Hi Vicki, hope you find these tips helpful! Friendly community manager tip here: if you'd like to directly reply to the folks who answered your question, you can click on the "add comment" link underneath their answer. That way they're receive notification of your response! :)

Terry
We are neighbors... And actually I used to live in Rochester (as well as Dover) before. Feel free to email me directly if I can give you more Costa Rica info... TerryS@zanynomad.com

Instituto from Liberia

Monteverde is an amazing little place here in Costa Rica. Along with the hummingbird garden, you can visit the snake and frog museums which are really awesome! As for monkeys, it depends on the type you are looking for. If you are in the Guanacaste area, you should check out Palo Verde for a guaranteed sighting of white-faced monkeys. The best time to come (for weather's sake) is between November and February. March-June are good too, but pretty hot. The closer you get to July-October, the more likely you'll be in the middle of the rainy season.

Hope these recommendations helped! If you're looking to study Spanish during your trip, please check us out! http://www.estelarcr.com/ info@estelarcr.com

1. Monteverde (city)
  2. Guanacaste (region)
  3. Palo Verde (attraction)