Sierra
Madisonville

Sierra from Madisonville asked

Where to stay for two nights near San Jose after a group tour, maybe a spa?

Looking for somewhere relatively close to San Jose that’s safe and relaxing.

Costa Rica

Claudia from New York City

For relaxation and spa treatments, I suggest Villa Caletas Hotel in Jaco. Located southwest of San Jose and about 1 1/2 hours from San Jose's Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO). 

Hotel Villa Caletas is a luxurious oceanfront boutique hotel featuring an infinity pool, spa, fitness center, gourmet restaurants and a secluded private beach located one mile from the hotel. Free transfer is available to the beach.

You will love it if you like places with spectacular ocean views. And when you're ready to leave, arrange your transfer to the airport with the concierge.

Trapp Family Country Inn is very peaceful  in spite of the fact that it is quite near to the airport - and safe.  They serve dinner and breakfast but not usually lunch.   I have also stayed quite happily at the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton but it was some time ago.  They have a pool and a free breakfast and a shuttle that will take you to the airport or dinner.   The only other place in that area I've stayed was right in San Jose.

Terry from Buffalo (New York)

I agree with RosalieAnn Beasley In reference to Xandari Resort And Spa (closest) or Peace Lodge BUT I would also include Finca Rosa Blanca (as my top choice for something really close to the airport).  Otherwise, and if the budget can absorb it - you can also go to the Pacuare Lodge - Linda Vista or honeymoon suites specifically for a crazy amazing time - only 1.5 hrs away.  This is the lodge where one had to raft in and raft out.  It is incredible (albeit not cheap)...

1. Xandari Resort And Spa (hotel)
  2. Peace Lodge (hotel)
  3. Finca Rosa Blanca (attraction)
  4. Pacuare Lodge (hotel)

I have always wanted to stay near Arenal where they have the spas heated by the volcano.  Something like the Arenal Springs Hotel  But that's not really 'near' to Juan Santamaria International Airport (although it is not that far either because Costa Rica is not that big a country). 

Sierra
I’m actually staying there earlier in the week.