Kenneth
Portland

Kenneth from Portland asked

What can't I miss?

Planning my first trip to Costa Rica in the spring.  Besides scuba diving (which I asked about in another question​), what else can't I miss on this adventure in terms of food, sightseeing, and activities? 

Costa Rica

Ross from Fort Collins

First off I am a budget traveler that brings a jungle hammock when in Central America just in case lol.not a hole lot of machete wielding travelers here but I know costa very well!                                                                       Avoid the jaco area first of all unless fishing for ladies of the night lol or catching the water taxi to Montezuma, which I highly recommend for very chill small town. The southern caribbean has it's own more rasta vibe and sloths! Also heading to Bocas del Toro while down there could make that area worth wile! La Fortuna is no longer erupting and you can zip line anywhere in C.R. I don't honestly know why people recommend that still? But if you want to strap on your fun boots go to the osa! It's the only real part of C.R. No fast food no frat boys and just the wild and jungle! Fly into the cemetery in Puerto Jimenez, get your 4x4 and stock up on food and Booze and drive past Cabo Matapalo to a rental house. There is an awesome surf school out there and you will be one of the only people that visit that beautiful country and actually get to see it!

when you pick a area and need further help let me know and we can work out your itinerary! Good luck 

Kenneth
Thank you!

1. Bocas del Toro (attraction)
  2. La Fortuna (city)
  3. Puerto Jimenez (city)
  4. Cabo Matapalo (attraction)
durand from Costa Rica

Great recommendations, Durand! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

Kenneth
Thank you, Durand!

Jacey has a lot of good answers. I'd add Colonia Monteverde. It's a quiet, relaxing place with a lot of trails. The Monteverde Cloud Forest is worth a visit while you're there.

And while you're in Manuel Antonio, I'd recommend a visit to the Bat Cave bar in La Mansion, and also a visit to El Avión

If you're there at the right time, you should see a soccer match. I'd recommend seeing Deportivo Saprissa or Brujas FC.

Kenneth
I like the sound of a bat cave. Thank you, Justin!

1. Colonia Monteverde (attraction)
  2. Monteverde Cloud Forest (attraction)
  3. Manuel Antonio (region)
  4. El Avión (restaurant)

Zip lining in La Fortuna was awesome, high above the rain forest. The Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort were also great. Tortuguero is a really neat area, there's a lot of marsh and swamp and it's really cool to take a boat (or kayak) through it and see the caymans and other wildlife with  barely anyone else around. We stayed at Pachira Lodge and had to be boated in, got our own little cabin -- it was great. If you go to Simbiosis Volcanic Mud Springs and Spa is also really fun. So many wonderful things to say about Costa Rica! 

Kenneth
Thank you for the ideas!

Allan from Panama City, Florida

Rent a car with a GPS and just go exploring. If not, you'll get stuck doing typical tourist activities. Go to places like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovkx2hkmLB0

Kenneth
Thanks, Allan!

Rob from Costa Rica

Playa Guiones hands down , no question 

Kenneth
Thank you, Rob!

1. Playa Guiones (attraction)