Shannon

Costa Rica

Tips for paying for items while in Costa Rica

We have most of our hotels, rental car and scheduled excursions already paid for with our credit card. What are the tips for paying for other items such as fuel, food, souvenirs, etc. while in Costa Rica? Just use an ATM daily? Or tips on carrying cash without being a target for theft? Concerned because I have read that theft is a concern there and I want to avoid exchanging money or using credit card for most part in case of extra international fees

Most of the theft is theft from cars or buildings and not mugging.  I don't worry so much about my safety or the safety of my money if I am in the main tourist areas and don't have obviously expensive jewelry or other stuff on me (except for my camera).  I don't leave stuff in a parked car unless the lot has a guard, and I don't spend a lot of time in the seedier sections of the city after dark. You will need cash for highway tolls, but otherwise not so much.