Jaime
San Diego

Costa Rica

Romantic honeymoon style vacation, looking for privacy and relaxation?

My husband and I are looking to travel to Costa Rica in late March or early April and have never been there.  We have been married 7 years, are in our mid 30's, and have no children.  We never took a honeymoon and are looking to make up for lost time.  We are hoping for private, relaxing accommodations. 

I've done some research on the tree house communities and would be open to staying there for all or part of our trip but open to suggestions.  This will probably be the last trip we take before trying to start a family so we are looking for romance, beach access, great dining... your stereotypical honeymoon experience! 

We have about 10 days to play with and our budget is pretty flexible to get the most out of the trip, but we are simple people and looking for more of an experience as opposed to being wined, dined, and waited on hand and foot.  We live in San Diego and I'm a photographer so we enjoy surf, beautiful landscape, and mellow vibes.

I'm new to trippy so I'm excited to see what you all suggest!

Thank you for your help!!!

-Jaime & Matt

Michael from San Diego

Hey Jamie.  I too am from San Diego and have traveled extensively in Costa Rica.  I strongly recommend the Osa Peninsula.   Your interest in surfing, relaxing and photography all point to this southwestern part of CR.   I recommend you either rent a place in Cabo Matapalo (world class surfing) or stay at an eco-lodge (my favorite -- and just walking distance to Matapalo is Bosque del Cabo).   There are a number of eco-lodges in the Osa area and it might be worth trying a couple of them.  I also happen to really like Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge.    Osa offers amazing wildlife, a quiet, laid-back pace of life and all of the Pura Vida that CR offers.   I think it'd fit your interests well.

1. Osa Peninsula (region)
  2. Bosque del Cabo (attraction)
  3. Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge (hotel)
  4. Cabo Matapalo (attraction)

Matthew from San Jose (California)

1. Monte Verde is spectacular.  The "cloud forest" (akin to a rain forest) walk is awesome.  We loved it. 
  2. We really enjoyed Manuel Antonio
  3. A horseride: We used Finca Valmy Tours.
  4. Kayaking was great.

Overall food was "meh"

We enjoyed our coffee plantation and vanilla plant tours.  Both were interesting.

1. Monte Verde (attraction)
  2. Manuel Antonio (region)

Ted from Chicago

Osa Peninsula is incredible as pointed out by Michael S. Manuel Antonio is another cool destination. They have the amazing Manuel Antonio as well as an incredible beach with surfing. The town of nearby Quepos is also interesting.

1. Quepos (attraction)
  2. Manuel Antonio (region)

Eyal from Haifa

it's never too late to travel...
I recommend you buy a good book guide such as lonely planet
and overall I recommend the west coast Island better suits for romance and surfing
just choose the right weather which is just about this season. g'd luck

Joseph from Los Angeles

Stay at La Mansion Inn in Manuel Antonio for three nights at the tail end of your trip before heading back to San Jose. Incredible views from your room and very romantic.

1. La Mansion Inn (attraction)

Ulrika from Sweden

Hi Jamie and Matt

Have a look at this, either you can contact this company or it will give you an idea of fantastic places to visit and stay. 

http://en.ecolyx.com/trips/beach-bush/costa-rica/