Nicole
Walnut Creek

Costa Rica, San Jose

Recommendations for places in Costa Rica to go/see in October

Hello!

A few friends and I are going to Costa Rica for a week in October. (Is October an OK time to go??) We will just be coming from Peru the week prior having hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu so the week in Costa Rica will probably be a more relaxing week. We don't really have any idea of things to do, places to see and visit etc. Any recommendations would be helpful! We will be flying into San Jose but can go to either the east or western side. 

Ross from Fort Collins

i don't advise la fortuna area Arenal Volcano is no longer erupting and you can zip-line and jungle treck any where in C.R. i would take the water taxi to Montezuma and stay at El Mariposario Montezuma Gardens (a B&B in a butterfly garden)! montezuma is a fun funky town and its a great spot to explore other towns and the national park just to the south!

1. Arenal Volcano (attraction)
  2. Montezuma (city)
  3. El Mariposario Montezuma Gardens (hotel)

Scott from Boca Raton

Go to La Fortuna in the Arenal volcano region. Stay at the Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort and bask in the 103 degree water at Tabacon Springs. Hike the rainforest and see the lava dome of Arenal Volcano.  

For more luxurious accommodations and access to the beach. Stay in Jaco at Villa Caletas.

1. La Fortuna (attraction)
  2. Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort (hotel)
  3. Arenal Volcano (attraction)
  4. Jaco (city)
  5. Villa Caletas (hotel)

Jimmy from Shanghai

Much of Costa RIca is in the middle of its rainy season in October, especially in the south (Osa Peninsula, Corcovado, etc). 

However, there is some good news! 

Firstly, the rain is VERY predictable. It generally doesn't rain in the mornings, giving early-risers a chance to soak in the sun and explore the rainforests. My favorite place to do this is in Manuel Antonio National Park. The afternoons and evenings bring the rains so make sure you don't get caught out there without shelter! Or if you do, at least remember to bring a rain jacket. 

Secondly, not ALL of Costa Rica is inundated by rainfall in October. The Caribbean side follows a different seasonal pattern and actually has their dry season in October. I made my way over to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca in September of last year and the weather was perfect. It still rained once, but only overnight. I stayed at Rocking J's, a fairly happening hostel located right ON the beach.

If you do go here, be sure to stop by the Parada Jaguar Rescue Center to get up close and personal with some local creatures. It's bit pricey by Costa Rican standards (about $20 for entry), but it goes to a good cause and you get to play with baby monkeys!

I'd also recommend stopping by Cahuita National Park. There is no entrance fee (donations only) and the one trail that the park contains meanders along the beach, into the rainforest, through streams, past monkeys on parade, etc... Not bad for a few hours of your time. 

Puerto Viejo was my favorite vacation destination when I was living in Costa Rica. The town has an incredibly mellow, Rastafarian vibe but still manages to come alive at night. The beaches are beautiful and the water is crystal clear, just like in the movies. Two thumbs way WAY up. 

1. Manuel Antonio National Park (attraction)
  2. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  3. Rocking J's (hotel)
  4. Parada Jaguar Rescue Center (attraction)
  5. Cahuita National Park (attraction)

Korby from St. George, Utah

I've been back packing to  Costa Rica 2 times and have seen most of the country on both coasts. The most relaxing and good vibed place we stayed at was Rocking J's hostel. I believe it was $4 or $5 a night. The local bus system is great and we used it for the 4 weeks we were there. Hope you can check it out! Goodluck!

1. Rocking J's (hotel)

Two places to enjoy-both for the hotel, location, relaxation ect.  You can do as much or as little as you want-they provide both! Near La Fortuna, stay at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa-you have access to the amazing volcano heated thermal pools, the grounds of which are breathtaking.  La Fortuna itself provides diversion if you want-fun, local, great place.  Or head south to near Drake Bay and stay at the Aguila De Osa Inn-Gorgeous!!  They have plenty of activities if you want, or you can sit on your deck with views of the bay and watch the white faced monkeys running around all day!

1. La Fortuna (attraction)
  2. Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa (hotel)
  3. Drake Bay (city)
  4. Aguila De Osa Inn (hotel)

Sheila from North Dakota

I was only in the Guanacaste region of Costa Rica because I was there for a wedding and a limited time. The beaches were nice and several of my friends spent a day doing an excursion of hiking and canyoneering the Arenal Volcano and loved it! Most hotels can arrange it for you or you can research some companies online. We also went sailing on a catamaran and afternoon and it was wonderful. So beautiful to see the coast and got some snorkeling in. If I think of more info I'll let you know!

1. Guanacaste (region)
  2. Arenal Volcano (attraction)