• Emily Pasco
  • "Pacific or Caribbean Coast in Costa Rica ? "

Emily Pasco

Montpellier, France

Pacific or Caribbean Coast in Costa Rica ?

Hi Guys ! 

Travelling to Costa Rica next February for just over 2 weeks! We're 2 french scuba divers so willing to dive in Cataline Islands (close to papagayo bay) and Isla del Canô (Osa Peninsula)... 

But Pacific coast of CR seems very touristy and not really what we are looking for. 

Knowing we have to go to the Pacific coast to dive though, would u recommend still taking the time to go to Caribbean coast (we renting out a small 4x4 FYI) ? 

Thanks 

Emily

• Jacey & Scott Mahaffy

Trippy Ambassadors are elite members of the community, hand picked to help you travel better!

Hello Emily! Are you planning to dive almost every day? If you are, then I would probably stick to the Pacific Coast. I would also suggest adding Cocos Island to your list. It will be a live aboard trip, since it's 300 miles from the Pacific Coast, but is a world renowned dive site. Even if you are only planning to dive for part of the trip, I would stick to the Pacific. I started going to Costa Rica about 20 years, and it has certainly changed.

It's the reason why I don't go to the Papagayo/Guanacaste area. I feel like I can get that experience in many places throughout the world. While Manuel Antoniois a tourist destination, it also feels very intimate to me. The hotels are small and boutique, and are built in and around the jungle, so while it does draw many tourists, it really doesn't have a tourist vibe to it.

If you are looking for a fantastic experience, I would concentrate on the Osa Peninsula. I have twice stayed at Aguila De Osa Inn. There are only a handful of lodges down there. The lodge is about a 30 minute boat ride from Caño Island Biological Reserves. Not only can you dive, but I would also encourage you to take some day hikes into Corcovado. They will take you by boat to the park entrance and send you off with a guide. Truly amazing wildlife experiences. The Osa Peninsula is not touristy at all. Mainly because the vast majority is protected as a National Park. It is truly an ethereal place on this earth. Hope that helps, and safe travels!

• Emily P.

Emily P.

TU Jacey for your quick and long response! not planning to dive everyday (probably one day out of 3). So Cocos Island (that we had indeed spotted) will be for a next trip (good reason to come back!). have u been diving in Catalina or not ? main reason, we want to go there is Manta Rays .. but will not stay there long regarding ur comments on Papagayo! will look at Osa accomodations you recommend! Cheers, Emily · (0 likelikes)

• Jacey & Scott M.

Jacey & Scott M.

Have not been diving there, but have heard great things about it! I certainly wouldn't say don't stay in that area. It was more of a comment based on what you were looking for and trying, as much as possible to stay away from "touristy" stuff. Lapa Rios is also a good place to look at in the Osa, but is very pricey. If you do think Aguila de Osa is interesting, make sure you fly into Palmar Sur, where the lodge representative will meet you and take you to a boat on the Sierpe River. It's about a two hour boat ride, but is simply amazing! You could then fly out of Drake Bay airport, which is much closer to the lodge. You can fly into Drake Bay both ways, but I think that ride down the Sierpe is a must do! · (0 likelikes)

1. Manuel Antonio (region)
    2. Aguila De Osa Inn (hotel)
    3. Caño Island Biological Reserves (attraction)
    4. Osa Peninsula (region)

• · 

Send Jacey & Scott a Thank You Note