Dee
Miami

Costa Rica

Must see tours and areas in Costa Rica?

I'm traveling to San Jose Costa Rica with some friends in a few weeks and want to know what are the must see areas and tours. I'm already planning to go on a zip line tour. We're staying in San Jose but will also be taking a day trip to Jaco Beach. We have 5 days in CR in total so we're searching for other day trips to take. 

Hello Dee! A zip line tour sounds great! Hopefully you can arrange the tour in the Arenal Volcano area as this is the perfect spot to visit while in Costa Rica. A breathtaking active volcano surrounded by nature and mountains. This area is also very famous by the Arenal Hot Springs. My recommendations here are Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort, Baldi Hot Springs Resort Hotel & Spa and Hotel Arenal Kioro (you can find many more on internet).  However, if you plan to go to Jaco, probably it would be much better if you arrange the zipline tour in Manuel Antonio National Park area, and If so, I would recommend a walk by the Manuel Antonio National Park or take the Manuel Antonio Catamaran Adventures (Ocean King). You can locate the catamaran at Quepos by the Marina Pez Vela. The tour includes a walk down the Pacific coast, a stop at the beautiful Biesanz Beach, the possibility to watch dolphins (which I did), snorkeling, etc. If you decide to stay in the Jaco area, it would be nice that you stick around the Hotel Club Punta Leona (Superior) highly recommended for its famous surfing beaches Playa Herraduraand Playa Hermosa. Hopefully you can stay in the area at least 2 days. Another recommendation (very personal by the way) is Marriott Los Sueños Ocean & Golf Resort and  Los Suenos Resort And Marina (in case you like sportfishing). The resort is very upscale. There is another possibility that you can think about is to switch to the Caribbean zone of Limon. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca , CahuitaManzanillo are beaches of pure and white sand famous by its aquatic wildlife. I highly recommend to take a tour to Tortuguero National Park and/or visit Sloth Sanctuary. In this case I will also suggest to reserve at least 2 days.

5 days wont be enough time to enjoy the beauties of my country; however, if well planned, it can be an unforgettable trip. Enjoy it!!

Pura vida!!

1. Arenal Volcano (attraction)
  2. Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort (hotel)
  3. Baldi Hot Springs Resort Hotel & Spa (hotel)
  4. Hotel Arenal Kioro (hotel)
  5. Jaco (city)
  6. Manuel Antonio National Park (attraction)
  7. Quepos (attraction)
  8. Marina Pez Vela (attraction)
  9. Biesanz Beach (attraction)
  10. Hotel Club Punta Leona (Superior) (hotel)
  11. Playa Herradura (city)
  12. Playa Hermosa (attraction)
  13. Marriott Los Sueños Ocean & Golf Resort (attraction)
  14. Los Suenos Resort And Marina (hotel)
  15. Limon (attraction)
  16. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  17. Cahuita (city)
  18. Manzanillo (attraction)
  19. Tortuguero National Park (attraction)
  20. Sloth Sanctuary (attraction)

You don't have a lot of time, so you'll have to keep it simple - try to get out to La Fortuna so you can spend the night near Volcan Arenal. I'd recommend Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort if you want to splurge. Otherwise, I stayed at a place called La Colina, and I'm pretty sure it changed names. Since you have to stay close to San Jose, take a day trip out to La Paz Waterfall Gardens. The waterfalls are cool, but the butterflies and hummingbirds stole the show for me. The area gets pretty misty and cool at night, too.

1. La Fortuna (attraction)
  3. La Paz Waterfall Gardens (attraction)

Stephanie from Santiago

Go to Santa Teresa for an a beautiful relaxing beach that's way less touristy than Jaco. Seriously, you can find spots on the beach free of crowds, it's great! And the small town is quite adorable. 

Also right near by is Montezuma which has awesome waterfalls to jump off of and hike up. So beautiful. 

I studied abroad in Costa Rica for 4 months so I know quite a bit about the place! 

1. Santa Teresa (attraction)
  2. Montezuma (city)