Karim
Antananarivo, Madagascar

Costa Rica

Is Costa Rica a good idea for a spring break trip?

My roommates and I are brainstorming ideas for our upcoming spring break, and we have been thinking about some place in Latin America that is different from the stereotypical beach resorts in Mexico. 

We thought about Costa Rica. Would you recommend it? We are a group of college students who want to look for adventure in the city, beach, or forest, etc.

Let us know!

Angel from Seattle

Spring break is a great time to visit Costa Rica, especially during Santa Semana (Easter Week).  Everyone takes the week off to go to the beach. Spring break also falls during the 'dry' season so very temperate and perfect weather. I highly recommend Puerto Viejo de Talamanca on the Caribbean side, for your adventure!

1. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)

Hello Karim!

Costa Rica is an excellent choice if you are planning to combine beach, forest and city.  For these choices I would recommend the Guanacaste area. There is an international airport Daniel Oduber International Airport in the area so to me this is a plus. There are so many nice beaches in Guanacaste i.e. Ocotal Beach Resort, Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, Del Coco Beach, among many others. There is another beach that I will recommend for its eco/natural beauty, Playa Santa Teresa (this is a bit far from the other beaches but it is worth it!). There is a nice hotel Villas Hermosas that provides good rates and excellent service/food. If you want to combine beach/forest I highly recommend to visit Monteverde Cloud Forest. This place is heaven!! However, for both Santa Teresa and Monteverde you will need to rent a 4x4.

Iam 100% sure that you guys will enjoy our lovely tropical beaches, the wonders of nature, unique adventures and culture.  Necessary components for a perfect vacation.

Pura vida!!

1. Costa Rica (attraction)
  2. Guanacaste (region)
  3. Daniel Oduber International Airport (attraction)
  4. Ocotal Beach Resort (attraction)
  5. Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa (hotel)
  6. Del Coco Beach (attraction)
  7. Playa Santa Teresa (attraction)
  8. Villas Hermosas (attraction)
  9. Monteverde Cloud Forest (attraction)

Costa Rica is a million times more enjoyable than Mexico, from my experience. Samara is beautiful, small town feel, very "surfers village", nautral beaches and no giant hotel towers lining every inch of coastline. Loved it there. We kayaked out to Isla Chora which was also great. We ate dinner one night at El Lagarto and your table is literally on the sand, and it's a wonderful experience with delicious meat. There's also a great bar on the beach with amazing drinks, Tabanuco.Isla ChoraSamara Beach

1. Samara (city)
  2. Isla Chora (attraction)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

You can't go wrong, with Costa Rica.  If you want something a little different, I'd recommend Guatemala and doing a combination of Antigua Guatemala and Lago de Atitlan.  This won't cover the beaches you are looking for, but Antigua is a fascinating combination of a colonial city with interesting nightlife.  Lago de Atitlan is an amazingly beautiful place that fits the adventure side of things that also has some options for bars and nightlife (albeit on the backpacker side of things).

1. Costa Rica (attraction)
  2. Antigua Guatemala (city)
  3. Lago de Atitlan (attraction)