Ivan
South Beach

Costa Rica

Hip places to stay in Manuel Antonio and Nicoya?

I'm traveling to Costa Rica for the second time but with my dad this time and it will be his first. We are going to split time between Manuel Antonio and Nicoya. I'm looking for that really special place to stay that has it all. Dads paying and he prefers luxury over rustic! I've seen some interesting places in Quepos and Santa Teresa.

Terry from Buffalo (New York)

I would suggest skipping Manuel Antonio and going further South like many have suggested.....   but having been part of an experiential travel company (www.costaricanvibes.com) - the most amazing experiences can be found there... I would even suggest starting off in Dominical, something like Kurá (chic luxury: www.kuracostarica.com) or   Oxygen (zen-type luxury: www.oxygenjunglevillas.com).   Rafiki Safari Lodge is great and wonderful tent-camp unique experience - but not luxury - in case you were looking at luxury.  

We would also be doing an injustice if we did not suggest going a tad further South into the jewel of Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - National Geographic called it the most Biologically diverse spot in the World...  Several Bare-foot Luxury options there... such as El Remanso (www.elremanso.com), Lapa Rios Ecolodge (www.laparios.com) and Luna Lodge(www.lunalodge.com) in the Puerto Jimenez region or Copa De Arbol(www.copadearbol.com) and La Paloma (www.lapalomalodge.com) in Drake Bay.

As for Nicoya, hands-down recommend the Southern tip..  Santa Teresa and/or Malpais (they touch).... An international bohemian flair that combines with a mixture of Surfer and Yoga vibes and turns into an understated luxury...  Properties to consider here are Florblanca (www.florblanca.com) and Latitude 10 Resort (www.latitude10resort.com).  There are also plenty of villas available for private use....  If you are looking at the northern side if Nicoya...  there is always the soon-to-open  El Mangroove (www.enjoyhotels.net/about-the-collection/el-mangroove) that is supposed to be out of this World.

1. Kurá (hotel)
  2. Oxygen (attraction)
  3. Rafiki Safari Lodge (hotel)
  4. El Remanso (hotel)
  5. Lapa Rios Ecolodge (attraction)
  6. Luna Lodge (hotel)
  7. Copa De Arbol (attraction)
  8. La Paloma (attraction)
  9. Florblanca (hotel)
  10. Latitude 10 Resort (hotel)
  11. El Mangroove (hotel)
  12. Osa Peninsula (region)

Haydee from Santa Teresa

You are going to love our town of Santa Teresa !! The nicest hotels in the area are Pranamar Oceanfront Villas and Yoga Retreat , Florblanca, Latitude 10 Resort and then a ton of private rentals you can find on VRBO or AirBnB. If there is a specific place you are curious about you can let us know and happy to give you more details. Even though we only have one main road, things can be a bit spread out so we also recommend renting a vehicle. Cars are the best options (4x4 only!) since our road is dirt & during the high season can be a bit dusty on an ATV. 

1. Santa Teresa (city)
  2. Pranamar Oceanfront Villas and Yoga Retreat (hotel)
  3. Florblanca (hotel)
  4. Latitude 10 Resort (hotel)

Hello!! I would suggest that you focus your stay on the Guanacaste area, (northwestern of Costa Rica). It is located along the coast of the Pacific Ocean which means you can drive and visit many beaches during the day. I will suggest you stay at Villas Hermosas, it is a 4 villas boutique located at Playa Hermosa of Santa Teresa.Villas Hermosas. I live in the capital of Costa Rica and have had the opportunity to visit this area many times. I will name as well other hotels which I consider nice hotels depending on the place/area you want to stay. Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, Westin Playa ConchalTamarindo Diria Beach and Golf Resort, Jw Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa,among others.

Hope you enjoy your visit!!

P.S. There is an international airport in Liberia, Guanacaste Daniel Oduber International Airport in case you want to travel directly to Guanacate from the U.S.

Brandon

1. Baru (city)
  2. Rafiki Safari Lodge (hotel)
  3. Cuna de Angel (hotel)
  4. Dominical (city)

Rob from Costa Rica

I have an upscale surfing lodge near TamarindoPlaya Avellana if you're interested. It's for surfers mainly, but very isolated and state of the art, great food, local produce, individual 4 star bungalows, connectivity, pick up from Liberia, brand new architect design, surf at your doorstep

1. Tamarindo (city)

M

We liked the Blue Monkey, it's not fancy but has a lot of character and the food was good. If you stay there, ask for a room across the road from the hotel, they are the nicest rooms. Not within walking distance of the park

1. Blue Monkey (restaurant)

Ted from Chicago

I stayed at Vela Bar Hotel and I really enjoyed it. It is relatively inexpensive, but it is not rustic. The best part about it is the location. It is a five minute walk to both the gates of Manuel Antonio and the beach.

1. Vela Bar Hotel (attraction)
  2. Manuel Antonio (region)

Instituto from Liberia

Have to agree with Rocio A. 
Guanacaste has some amazing places to see with luxurious places to stay. All of his suggestions are good, especially Playa Flamingo, Playa Conchal, and Playa Tamarindo - these are all some of my favorite places! Nicoya is really nice too, I just recommend finding a good deal on your hotel before going. No matter what you do, you will have an amazing trip - it is Costa Rica!! 

Have fun!!

1. Guanacaste (region)
  2. Playa Flamingo (attraction)
  3. Playa Conchal (attraction)
  4. Playa Tamarindo (attraction)
  5. Nicoya (city)

Meetu from San Francisco

A search on vrbo.com or airbnb.com will give you a list of houses you can stay in. How about a place like this?

http://www.flipkey.com/manuel-antonio-resort-rentals/p174357