Jurgis
Vilnius, Lithuania

Costa Rica

Best waves and beach in Costa Rica?

Hi, we like active leisure, what location in Costa Rica can have big waves, nice beaches and expensive accommodation?

Lola from Ireland

Hola! Cahuita is laid back and not so crowded. Finding an affordable accommodation should be easy. I recommend Cahuita National Park Hotel which is right next door to the park and beach. The rooms are basic and large. The town has good restaurants and fun bars. This view is of the beach from the balcony at the hotel.

This image is of a path in the park. You will see many beautiful butterflies, hear howler monkeys and see interesting fauna. 

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca is not too far if you need a more lively night out. This is a caribbean town not too far but more crowded. You can find beautiful beaches here too.

If you prefer to experience atlantic beaches then head to Tamarindo. The town has many places to eat and go to at night. It's lively but not crowded. The beaches were gorgeous! I recommend horseback riding here. 

One of my favorite activities there was taking strolls during sunset. 

A snap of a part of town. It's pretty tidy and scenic.

Enjoy your trip!

1. Cahuita (city)
  2. Cahuita National Park Hotel (hotel)
  3. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  4. Tamarindo (city)

Hello Jurgis. In my opinion, Playa Santa Teresa, Malpais, Playa Avellanas, and Playa Hermosa. In the southern Caribbean of Costa Rica I really like Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (the surf spot called Salsa Brava). However my favorite beaches to visit are Santa Teresa and Malpais. They have blossomed lately into a booming travel destination. With consistent off-shore winds, Santa Tere boasts swells that have been known to attract surfers from all over the world. As far as I know, the waves are at their peak from May to December (there are many barrels to be ridden). Best place to stay in Santa Tere is Villas Hermosas. A beachfront family villa that is fully equipped, daily and healthy breakfast made by the owners of the villas is a plus of the place / highly recommended / $$$.

I always recommend the "Gold coast" of Guanacaste, from Papagayo Peninsula in the north to Tamarindo in the south, featuring my best place to stay Las Catalinas ($$$$). Right next to Las Catalinas there is another beautiful place to stay Sugar Beach ($$). Love Las Catalinas and the beautiful Danta Beach and Dantita Beach that are fantastic for swimming. Playa Danta frequently has waves that are just right for fun body surfing with long smooth rides. Playa Grande is big wild beach with famous surfing spots / very rough/

I am not a surf expert however I know the most famous breaks from north to south: Witches rock, located about an hour from Flamingo and is probably the most famous break around. Ollie's point on Santa Elena Peninsula, Playa Grande, Avellana and Playa Negra.

Hope this helps!!! Pura vida!!

1. Playa Santa Teresa (attraction)
  2. Malpais (city)
  3. Playa Avellanas (attraction)
  4. Playa Hermosa (attraction)
  5. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  6. Villas Hermosas (attraction)
  7. Guanacaste (region)
  8. Papagayo Peninsula (attraction)
  9. Tamarindo (city)
  10. Las Catalinas (attraction)
  11. Sugar Beach (hotel)
  12. Danta Beach (attraction)
  13. Dantita Beach (attraction)
  14. Playa Grande (attraction)
  15. Flamingo (hotel)
  16. Santa Elena Peninsula (attraction)
  17. Playa Negra (attraction)