Lynton
San Diego

Costa Rica

Best time of year to visit?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica this year.  We want to surf and enjoy the beaches but also go up into the mountains jungle and see the east side as well. Any advice on best time of year to visit for a complete experience and coolest things to do would be greatly appreciated.  The budget is not huge but not planning to stay in hostel nor tent.  Not five star but safe and somewhere in the "middle" in terms of cost. Thanks in advance for any Costa Rica wisdom and experience.

Mary Beth from Cullman

For me, December - February is the best time to visit Costa Rica.  The weather is amazing then.  The only months I would truly avoid are September and October, the heart of the rainy season.  Samara is one of my favorite beach towns, and you can most definitely surf there.  If you are going to hit the Caribbean Coast, be sure to check out Cahuita.  Charming and low key.  I like it better than Puerto Viejo.

1. Samara (city)
  2. Cahuita (city)

Eyal from Haifa

the 'season' (summer) is now, December to May, however, I heard many people go on the winter months and enjoying lower prices places are less busy, on off season it's more rainy yet it's tropical all year long... I liked staying at Monteverde. there are differences between highlands and coast, I recommend buying  a book before trip. enjoy

1. Monteverde (city)

Ben from Portland

The Arenal Volcano National Parkais pretty impressive. We went on a hike and both heard and watched rocks shooting out of the volcano and bouncing down the side of the volcano. At night, from the lodge, you can sometimes see lava flowing down the slope (it happened while we were there, but we missed it).

1. Arenal Volcano National Park (attraction)

henry from Costa Rica

Hi, My suggestion for you will be come in on June, because you´ll fine rates of green season, some rains not too much.

And I recommend Gandoca Manzanillo excellente waves, plus you could admire the monkeys and lot of trees, good restaurants and prices almost for everithing. 

You will be close to Tortuguero which is a paradise.

hope enjoy your stay

1. Gandoca Manzanillo (attraction)
  2. Tortuguero (city)

Instituto from Liberia

For the best weather, come down between December and February. But for the best prices, June through October are great but you do run the risk of rain in the afternoons mainly. 

For great beaches, national parks, waterfalls, and volcanoes, you can do a lot in the Guanacaste region. We are located in Liberia and we are able to get to so many amazing places (so if you wanted to stay in one place and do day trips, that is very possible in Guanacaste). You can see great places like TamarindoPlaya FlamingoRincon de la Vieja National ParkLlamos de Cortez Waterfall, and much more! 

For other amazing sites, some of my favorite places are Montezuma(which is MUCH cheaper in October when just about every hotel is half price), Monteverde (which is better in the dry season because it is a colder part of Costa Rica), and Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (on the east side and very beautiful). 

1. Tamarindo (city)
  2. Playa Flamingo (attraction)
  3. Rincon de la Vieja National Park (attraction)
  4. Llamos de Cortez Waterfall (attraction)
  5. Montezuma (city)
  6. Monteverde (city)
  7. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)