Watzisname

Costa Rica

Best things to do for a family in San Jose, Costa Rica?

We are a family of 4, with teenage kids. Love active vacations, getting immersed in culture and enjoying nature and the outdoors. What are your recommendations for a week in Costa Rica?

Thanks in advance!!

San Jose is the capital of Costa Rica and even though there are plenty of activities to develop in the city, I would suggest that you probably spend your time outside San Jose. If you like outdoors and enjoy nature I highly recommend Guanacaste located in the northwestern part of the country and blessed with beautiful beaches and national parks. It is very dry right now therefore it is good for surf and sportfishing. You can fly into Daniel Oduber International Airport, and you can be at the beach in less than an hour (depending on the beach you choose). There are many alternatives of hotels specially designed for teenagers. Let me recommend a few that I have stayed in. Oceanica Resort, Westin Playa Conchal,Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort,buy there are many more. This area is very cool for teenagers and for grown up as well. If you rent a car (which I recommend), you can spend some time visiting Monteverde Cloud Forest where the Reserva de Santa Elena is located. It is a place of clouds forests, coffee plantations, monkeys, mist, and friendly locals. Full of rustic hotels, restaurants and activities such as the cloud train, this is always my #1 recommendation for once in a lifetime experience. Tree House is a restaurant on a tree top overhanging much of the tables is for real and adds to the experience. You can also overnight here and take the Coffe and Jungle night tour (this is so much fun as you can spot animals that you don't get to see everyday).

If you decide that Guanacaste is not the option, there is another beach that I always recommend Playa Santa Teresa (a 4x4 will be a must). Beautiful spot for surfing and relaxation. I love to stay at Villas Hermosas hotel. It is an intimate beachfront family-owned boutique hotel with 4 villas, rancho and pool. Outstanding food as well.

Let me give you another example of adventure for your teenage kids. Visit Volcán Arenal, not very close from Guanacaste but there is a shortcut from there. Stunning views as the volcano is huge and also the hot springs are another option for relaxation.

PS - The Caribbean side of the country is also a gem and a beauty however is raining a lot these days.

I am sure you will enjoy my beautiful country as It was designed for perfection.

Hope this help. Pura vida!!!

1. San Jose (city)
  2. Costa Rica (attraction)
  3. Guanacaste (region)
  4. Daniel Oduber International Airport (attraction)
  5. Oceanica Resort (hotel)
  6. Westin Playa Conchal (attraction)
  7. Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa (hotel)
  8. Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort (hotel)
  9. Monteverde Cloud Forest (attraction)
  10. Reserva de Santa Elena (attraction)
  11. Tree House (restaurant)
  12. Playa Santa Teresa (attraction)
  13. Villas Hermosas (attraction)
  14. Volcán Arenal (attraction)

Gary from Winston Salem

C R is our favorite place.  I agree with the first answer. Get out of San Jose and our favorite spots are La Fortuna for Arenal Volcano, National Parks and the amazing volcano fed water parks like Tabacon Hot Springs. Tamarindo for beach fun.  Jaco beach is an easy drive from San Jose and Manuel Antonio National Park is a great spot as well.  There are many tours that can be booked from hotels in San Jose. 

1. La Fortuna (attraction)
  2. Tamarindo (city)
  3. Jaco (city)
  4. Manuel Antonio National Park (attraction)