Ryan

Ryan from San Francisco asked

Best Location for Surfing and Adventure?

Hey trippers, could you please help me decide the best surfing beach to stay at for two weeks in Costa Rica in October? 

A little local surfing town with few tourists would be perfect. I'd like to rent an ATV/4-wheeler or something like that to get around. I'd also love if there was natural sightseeing spots nearby. I'm an adrenaline junky so would love if there were nearby natural adventures like white water rafting, zip-lining, hikes, waterfalls to jump off of, etc. I'd like to stay in my own villa/bungalow (vs. a hotel or hostel) so any recommendations of where to actually stay would also be appreciated. 

Money isn't necessarily an issue. I'll be by myself. 

Costa Rica

Jenn from Costa Rica

I agree that you should look into Malpais/Playa Santa Teresa. Santa Teresa is a little touristy if you're looking for more of a local spot but if you stay in Mal Pais or Playa Hermosa a little outside of town, you can get away from that. This area of CR is beautiful with lots of lush jungle and steep cliffs. Most people get around by quad because of rough roads which sounds right up your alley. There are quite a bit of adventure activities nearby too: Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve and Montezuma for more surfing, some awesome waterfalls, snorkeling, etc. 

You might also like Playa Avellanas in Guanacaste. It's close to Tamarindo (big surfing destination but definitely touristy) but really off the beaten path--all dirt roads and just feels like you're in the middle of nowhere, in a good way. Lots of good surfing beaches nearby like Playa Negra. I'd also recommend looking into Playa Hermosa near Jaco on the C. Pacific Coast. It's a small community built around surfing. If you opted for a car, you could check out some of the local surfing spots to the south like Playa Bejuco. There's also a lot of activities you can do out of Jaco too like Carara National Park, zip-lining, waterfalls, etc. but know that the Jaco area is very built up (by Costa Rica standards). Hope that helps! 

1. Malpais (city)
  2. Playa Santa Teresa (attraction)
  3. Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve (attraction)
  4. Playa Avellanas (attraction)
  5. Playa Hermosa (attraction)
  6. Carara National Park (attraction)
Eyal from Haifa

Playa Mal Pais Playa Santa Teresaarea for the pacific is great. I had some longboarding.

Over the Caribbean there's Puerto Viejo de Talamanca Salsa Brava very known for surfers.

Richard from Costa Rica

Hi Ryan, it sounds to me like the Jaco to Manuel Antonio area of Costa Rica should fit the bill for everything you need without to much hassle about ever being far from your exit port. Gaia Hotel & Reserve Manuel Antonio Adults Onlyis a personal favorite and the just won a major travelers award,

henry from Costa Rica

Playa Negra, that's the place

1. Playa Negra (attraction)