Dev

Costa Rica

4 adults + 2 kids under 6. best 10 day itin?

landing and leaving out of Liberia airport.  plan to rent a large SUV.  July 1 to July 10, 2016.

need best 10 day itinerary for 4 adults and 2 kids under 6.  we plan to rent Airbnb during our visit.  ideally we would like a nice mix of beach and forest/volcano.  nothing too strenuous of a hike since we have two young kids but they will appreciate seeing wildlife.

we can use the house as a home base and take trips from there.  ideally staying in north of San Jose closer to Liberia is the best choice.

should we post up near Playa Negra/Pacific side?

what is a better central location for all of our activities?

is it turtle hatching season?  where best to witness?

what are great recommendations for hikes/wildlife for younger kids?

best rental car agency in costa rica to rent from Liberia airport?

is rental car insurance mandatory in CR?  does american or credit card coverage enough?

thanks in advance!!

Hello Dev! I am glad to hear that you and your family are planning a visit to Costa Rica. Guanacaste is one of my favorite beach area in the country. I will try to help you out with some of the questions you are asking. First of all, I would suggest that you find a house for renting near Playas del Coco, Tamarindo, Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, Conchal Hotel or surroundings. I will suggest that from there you visit by land Monteverde Cloud Forest and Arenal Volcano. Both places are great options for kids and outstanding spots for grownups to visit.  If you need that I also suggest excellent lodging options that I know, please let me know. You will need at least 2 days of stay on each place.

There are excellent rental car agencies in Liberia. Thrifty Car Rental, Alamo Car Rental, Budget Car Rental Liberia Guanacaste, among the best. Rental car insurance is not mandatory but recommended even though credit card insurance is enough.

Turtles nest year round in Ostional beach or Nosara but peak time is during rainy season from August through December.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the ride and my beautiful country! Pura vida!!

1. Guanacaste (region)
  2. Playas del Coco (attraction)
  3. Tamarindo (city)
  4. Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa (hotel)
  5. Conchal Hotel (restaurant)
  6. Monteverde Cloud Forest (attraction)
  7. Arenal Volcano (attraction)
  8. Thrifty Car Rental (attraction)
  9. Alamo Car Rental (attraction)
  10. Budget Car Rental Liberia Guanacaste (attraction)
  11. Ostional (attraction)
  12. Nosara (city)