Aayush
Boston

Costa Rica, Cahuita, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Punta Uva, Manzanillo

1 week vacation around the caribbean coast of Costa Rica

Me and my friends are planning a trip to the Caribbean coast for a week. We are a group of 8 - 10, all in our late 20s (guys and girls) and are looking to explore the wildlife, do some outdoor activities and relax on beaches. I'd appreciate if you could help me with a few things to start with;

• Destinations to cover (and in what order): Which city should be land into and places we should cover in 5 -7 days? From the little information I have gathered, we are probably looking at the following places: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Cocles, Punta Uva and Manzanillo
  • Stay: We would like to avoid high end hotels and hotels in general unless they are the only safe option around. Are there any other form of housing that you recommend?
  • Logistics: What is the best mode of transport? Is renting a car a good idea or we rely on public transport/ cabs, etc.?

Hello Aayush! First of all, Happy New Year!

The Caribbean side of Costa Rica is beautiful and famous for its dense forests that give sanctuary to the region's diverse flora and fauna. I would suggest that you land at the Juan Santamaria International airport located in Alajuelaand rent a car to drive up to Limon. All the beaches that you mentioned are one of a kind.

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca prides itself as the best surfing spot on Costa Rica's Caribbean.  Let me add to the list  these amazing places that you must visit: Tortuguero National Park, Gandoca Manzanillo, Sloth Sanctuary and Pacuare River.  I highly recommend that you guys stay in a hotel. I would say it is safer. A few that I have stayed in the past are: Hotel Maribu Caribe, Hotel Cariblue, Pacuare River,Tortuga Lodge & Gardens, and my favorite  spot ever, Almonds and Corals Hotel, nestled amongst the exuberant jungle of Gandoca Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge.

Hope this helps!

1. Costa Rica (attraction)
  2. Alajuela (city)
  3. Limon (attraction)
  4. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  5. Tortuguero National Park (attraction)
  6. Gandoca Manzanillo (attraction)
  7. Sloth Sanctuary (attraction)
  8. Pacuare River (attraction)
  9. Hotel Cariblue (hotel)
  10. Almonds and Corals Hotel (hotel)