LV
Huntington Beach

Cordoba (Argentina), Patagonia (Argentina), El Chalten, Argentina

Cordoba > Patagonia + "Must See/Do" for hikers visiting Patagonia?

What are the best/cheapest strategies for traveling from Cordoba to Patagonia in June?  

Also, "must-see" / "must-do" recommendations for three amateur hikers visiting Patagonia and El Chaltén village between June 12-21?

Stef

I haven't done much hiking in Patagonia as I only had a couple of days there. But you should definitely go to El Calafate and do a hike on the Perito Moreno Glacier. If you have time, head over to Chile and hike in Torres del Paine

Additionally as you said you come from Cordoba, if you need any advice on what to do in Cordoba, read the following posts: http://bit.ly/1HIuryShttp://bit.ly/1aCYq12 and http://bit.ly/1C77kKJ.

1. El Calafate (city)
  2. Perito Moreno Glacier (attraction)
  3. Torres del Paine (attraction)

Christine from Auckland

Sounds great.... Stef is right, the rock star locations are El Calafate Glaciar Perito Moreno and Torres del Paine, but also El Chalten is good.

It is going to be cold. I would stick to shorter day hikes at that time of year. Any hostel in El Calafate will have masses of information on hiking/ options and transport to the start points, as do the El Chalten hostels.

Just for the record the Glaciar Perito Moreno is THE best thing that I have ever seen anywhere in the world.... and I have travelled widely. For me it is way better than Iguazú Falls and there are other glaciers to visit and boat trips on the lakes etc. I'm envious.

Cheapest way to travel is on the bus - pretty comfortable and easy. There are all sorts of styles and price levels, unless you are on a really tight budget go for the luxury overnight ones, more comfortable than an economy airline seat. If your Spanish is not great find a young Argentinean to help you buy tickets/sort out bus company options, times and leaving platforms, most can speak some English and they will be pleased to help.

Stop off in Mendoza and cycle in the vineyards and San Carlos de Bariloche on the way. If you have time the Seven Lakes (Siete Lagos) route near Bariloche is wonderful, or just catch a bus to one of those small towns and overnight there - way less tourists and beautiful. Great for hiking.

I have only been once to Patagonia and am planning to return in January 2016 for more serious hiking in Torres del Paine

Suerte

Christine

1. El Calafate (city)
  2. Glaciar Perito Moreno (attraction)
  3. Torres del Paine (attraction)
  4. El Chalten (city)
  5. Iguazú Falls (attraction)
  6. Mendoza (attraction)
  7. San Carlos de Bariloche (city)

Ros from England

Hi, we went to Patagonia (Argentina) a few years ago and it is a beautiful place. We didn't go to hike. We flew between destinations  because the distances are so great but it is an expensive option. I don't know if the 2 tier system still operates where locals get cheap flights and foreigners have to pay a premium. However there are a lot of exceptionally good long distance bus services. We started in Trelew and visited the Peninsula Valdes (Valdés Peninsula), well known for its wildlife, particularly whales and then Punta Tomba penguin sanctuary . It was very warm in late February but I don't know about June. We then went down to El Calafate and visited the Perito Moreno Glacier. The mountain scenery was terrific but for hiking it will be cold. Even the end of February we had snow flakes and it was exceptionally windy. Take warm clothing. We travelled around by local bus but wished we had brought driving licences as hiring a car would have enabled us to get out and about more easily. We also visited Chilean Patagonia  from Puerto Mont. Hope this helps and you have a great trip.

1. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
  2. Trelew (attraction)
  3. Peninsula Valdes (Valdés Peninsula) (attraction)
  4. El Calafate (city)
  5. Perito Moreno Glacier (attraction)