Shannon

Copenhagen

Too cold in Copenhagen in the winter?

We are thinking about traveling to Copenhagen this winter. But really... is it too cold? I know it's the happiest place on earth, and I'm dying to go, but should we wait until the warmer months?  

Lo from Delft

Copenhagen has a very unpredictable weather throughout the year. You can experience four seasons in one day ... almost any day of the year. Wind and rain are constantly lurking behind clouds. So you may feel cold in summertime, and yet you will not freeze in wintertime.

You should visit Copenhagen (for the first time) during warmer seasons. It is not only a matter of weather and temperature, but it is also a matter of daylight brevity that makes the winter season not optimal for a visit.

Copenhagen on a warm sunny day is spectacular. Most of all Copenhagen is a city that offers wonderful natural and outdoor venues to experience by bicycle ... something you will not be able to appreciate as much in wintertime.

Klaudia from London

Regally depends on your travel style. We went in January it was very cold and windy. We still enjoyed it but had frequent stops to warm up. For example the trip to see The Little Mermaid was a decent walk from the city and being by the water it was windy. If you have an option to go in warmer months then I am sure it be nicer to sit outside in NyhavnTivoli for example is closed in winter as well. There are off course indoor galleries and museums that are fantastic no matter what the season. But to get the most out of this city I would recommend a warmer season if that's an option. As I said we still had a lovely time .. But I would go back in summer to give it another go. 

1. The Little Mermaid (attraction)
  2. Nyhavn (attraction)
  3. Tivoli (attraction)

Copenhagen is never really warm and hardly ever really cold.

It's not a city where the seasons matter that much as the place is never really warm just like Denmark is never really cold because of the gulf stream.

It has pretty much the same climate as Scotland so you should be prepared for most kinds of weather no matter what time of year you go.

1. Copenhagen (city)
  2. Denmark (country)
  3. Scotland (country)

Mei & Kerstin from Larochette

We're going to Copenhagen in 2 weeks, will let you know how cold it is :) According to the Weather Channel, it's not colder than Paris or Luxembourg (where we're from).  

By the way, the Tivoli is open every day in December, not sure about January though.

Gera from Willemstad, Netherlands Antilles

I would wait till the warmer months, not because I prefer temperate weather but because there are so few hours of daylight in the winter. I would especially consider the amount of day light if you plan to spend much of your time outdoors.

Diana from Lisbon

I lived one year in Denmark and I must tell you the winter is incredibly cold. Once I went for a weekend in Copenhagen with my bf and while we were heading to the harbour to see The Little Mermaid I stopped feeling my body, mainly due to the wind than to the low temperature. We spent the weekend walking for half an hour, then stopping for half an hour in cafés (that's also lovely because the Danish cafés are comfy oases)...All in all, it might sound a bit dramatic, but it is a hard-to-forget experience. 

It is in deed lovely to see and feel the snow, but not to stroll the streets or ride a bike (the only reason cold is pleasant is because you know you'll get back soon inside, in a cozy warm place. :) )

I definitely recommend you visit Denmark starting with May, when everything starts "green-ing" and everyone seems to be living a perpetual feast. And it's also the best time to start discovering Copenhagen by its typical mean of transport: the holy bike.  

So yes, Shannon, I suggest you wait a bit more so that you make the most of it. :)

1. The Little Mermaid (attraction)