Emily
Venice Beach

Copenhagen

Great restaurants -- without reservations?

Going to be in Copenhagen with my boyfriend for 4 days this weekend and hearing that most good restaurants require reservations. Any recommendations for foodies who are spontaneous and don't want to be tied down by reservations in advance?

Rene from Copenhagen

Restaurants that serve good meals, regardless of whether you are talking about cheap or high-end are busy these days. Most places, you will need to book a reservation to get a table on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, especially the places that I will recommend below.

Restaurant Schønnemann"
Go here for some oldschool Danish fare. They are only open for lunch, and always very busy. This is food like it used to be half a Century ago

Tlf:+45 33 12 07 85 

Manfreds & Vin
I love this place. For most Danish people, this is affordable on an every day level. Highly reccomendable

Tlf:+45 3696 6593

Restaurant Relæ
If you have the opportunity to get a table here, don't miss out. It is going to challenge you. The chef here is looking into the future and will test your ideas of what food is, but they do it so well and deliciously.

Tlf:+45 3696 6593

Restaurant BROR
This place is on a similar wavelength as Manfreds & Vin. A touch more creative and bold. They recently opened and I believe they will go very far.

+45 3217 5999

Kødbyens Fiskebar
This is one of the few affordable fish restaurants in town. I say affordable as  Dane. Fish is expensive, for good reason, so it is not as cheap as say, when you are in Southern Europe. They have great mussels, a fantastic fish & chips, really good wine list, and during the weekend go there late as the place turns into quite a scene and the cocktails are quite good. In the summer they have outdoor seating.

Tlf: +45 32155656

Amass
This is the most recent big opening in Copenhagen. The chef is American, has worked for myself for five years at Noma, but has also been the sous chef at Per Se for years and spent time at the Fat Duck. Basically his resume is laced in gold. To me, if Matt Orlando gets a little bit of luck, great support from other chefs in the community here, he has the talent and vision to make Amass into the kind of restaurant where we will all be sitting in five to eight years, refreshing the reservation button, desperate to get a booking the moment they open for new tables. Go there now so you can say you where they when they were green and first testing out their ways.

Tlf: +45 2696 3963

1. Restaurant Schønnemann (restaurant)
  2. Manfreds & Vin (restaurant)
  3. Restaurant Relæ (restaurant)
  4. Restaurant BROR (restaurant)
  5. Kødbyens Fiskebar (restaurant)
  6. Amass (restaurant)

Valerie from Seattle

In addition to the amazing places listed above by others, none of which required reservations... (unfortunately, I didn't get to visit Noma because it closes during the month of July, or at least was closed in July 2013.)

I had a breathtakingly amazing meal at Toldbod Bodega. The shrimp and egg salad, paired with an elderflower soda, were so unique, light, flavorful and fresh. The restaurant has tons of character too.

Everyone recommended Mother before I went on my trip, and it didn't disappoint. The pizza was amazing, and the smoked meats were the perfect introduction to the new food movement happening in Copenhagen.

The best cocktail I had in Copenhagen, and the best mezcal cocktail I've ever had in my life (trust me, I've been looking) was at First Hotel Twentyseven. I don't know what they did, but it was worth ever kroner.

Finally, Restaurant Geist. This was a food experience: small dishes, almost eaten tapas style, but prepared in unique and interesting ways. I took pictures that didn't look as fantastic as the food tasted, mostly because it was such interesting combinations of ingredients and dish presentation... It was a VERY expensive meal, but definitely a good alternative to Noma if you're looking for it.

1. Noma (restaurant)
  2. Toldbod Bodega (restaurant)
  3. Mother (restaurant)
  4. First Hotel Twentyseven (hotel)
  5. Restaurant Geist (restaurant)

Katherine from San Diego

We were just in Copenhagen in April.  We ate at a new restaurant, Ravage, near Nyhavn, and just walked in with no reservations.  Our meal was very good.  However, Copenhagen has so many Michelin star restaurants, it seems a shame for a foodie to travel there and not eat at one of them.  We were able to make reservations just a couple days in advance for all but noma.  Our favorite Michelin restaurant was Studio - The Standard Copenhagen.  There are two other restaurants in The Standard building that aren't Michelin starred with good reputations which might work without reservations.  If you do decide to hit at least one Michelin restaurant, you can check out my post about our experiences.  96 Hours of Michelin in Copenhagen  Also, go to Told & Snaps for lunch.  If you get there as soon as they open at 11:30 you won't need a reservation.

1. Ravage (restaurant)
  2. Studio - The Standard Copenhagen (restaurant)
  3. Told & Snaps (restaurant)

Steve

Det Lille Apotek

Store Kannikestraede 15, Copenhagen, Denmark

45 33 12 56 06 
http://detlilleapotek.dk/uk/home

The "Little Pharmacy" is in the heart of Copenhagen in the Latin Quarter – just a few minutes walk from the “Strøget”, the city's international pedestrian shopping street, the Tivoli Gardens, the Central Station, the Town Hall and the Round Tower. Once frequented by the well-known Danish poet Hans Christian Andersen, amongst other famous Danish artists.

Loved the stone beef. Bits of meat you cook yourself on a hot rock placed on your table.

1. Det Lille Apotek (restaurant)

Zoë from Palo Alto, California

Try to go to Aamanns Etablissement. They have a lunch menu that shouldn't require reservations, but their dinner menu is spectacular as well. A little pricey but worth it. Lunch I know is traditional Danish smorrebrød and dinner is new wave Danish food. Delicious. 

Cafe Norden and Cafe Europa 1989 (right across from each other on Stroget, the walking street) are both fantastic for brunch and don't require reservations. Enjoy!

1. Aamanns Etablissement (restaurant)
  2. Cafe Norden (restaurant)
  3. Cafe Europa 1989 (restaurant)

JR from Manhattan Beach

My tip is not your typical restaurant, but more of boutique food court, kind of like the Ferry Building in San Francisco. It's called Torvehallerne. Tons of different food/beer/desserts. It's great for lunch or an early dinner. 

1. Torvehallerne (attraction)