Vince
Sarasota

Vince from Sarasota asked

Where to go in CO besides Breckenridge

I have booked a house in Breckenridge this summer for 5 days for a family reunion. In addition while there I want to visit other interesting and beautiful places an hr. or two from Denver.

Where do you recommend I could go and spend 3 days an hour or two from Breckenridge or Denver?

Which would you pick among Estes Park, Grand Lake, Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, or others?

Colorado

Heidi from Colorado

I like Claire's response and I love those areas, but beware that those places are a 6+ hour drive from Denver or Breckenridge.

Your question is difficult because there are many wonderful areas within 3 hours of Denver or Breck. It sort of depends on what you are looking for.

There is an AMAZING zip line adventure in Leadville called Top of the Rockies. Leadville is a super fun town, VERY authentically Colorado.

Glenwood Springs is less than 2 hours from Breckenridge and has an array of hot springs and family excursions available. We love Glenwood.

You can find more helpful info on my site, HeidiTown.com. I write about Colorado festivals and travel.

1. Leadville (city)
  2. Glenwood Springs (city)
Sean from Hudson Valley

I loved Estes Park. Colorado Springs was nice too.   If you do go to Colorado Springs, you might want to consider visiting the United States Air Force Academy.  It was very impressive, especially the cadet chapel.

You might also like Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument . 

The good news is all of these are doable as long day trips or over-nights from Breckenridge.

Claire from Fort Worth, Texas

You can ride the Durango to Silverton steam train; even ride up to Silverton, stay the night and return to Durango the next day.  It is a beautiful  trip.  

Another fun area is along the New Mexico border.  Another steam train runs from Antonitoto Chama and is called the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad.  Leave your car in Antonito and take the full day trip west to  Chama.   This train climbs the ridge and takes you from high desert into the mountains.  After you reach Chama, you will be brought back by bus/coach.   

Other attractions in this part of Colorado are Great Sand Dunes National Park and PreservePagosa Springs and close proximity to Santa Fe and Taos

1. Durango (city)
  2. Silverton (city)
  3. Silverton (city)
  4. Durango (city)
  5. Antonito (city)
  6. Chama (city)
  7. Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad (attraction)
  8. Antonito (city)
  9. Chama (city)
  10. Chama (city)
  11. Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve (attraction)
  12. Pagosa Springs (city)
  13. Santa Fe (city)
  14. Taos (city)