Kira
San Antonio

Kira from San Antonio asked

What sites should I see or places should I visit in CO Springs?

Going to Colorado Springs this September and was looking for places to visit. Any good ideas?

Colorado Springs

Tom from Dade City

Everybody goes to the Air Force Academy, and if you haven't been it's worth a shot.  The Garden of the Gods is certainly worth at least a perfunctory look.  I would skip Pikes Peak though, unless you have lots of time.  The view isn't that great and there are much better mountain scenarios.  Seven Falls is nice, but a hike up Stanley Canyon Reservoir Trailhead is better and not so touristy.  The best afternoon might be just a walk or bike ride up the well maintained path along Monument Creek.

1. Air Force Academy (address)
  2. Garden of the Gods (attraction)
  3. Pikes Peak (attraction)
  4. Seven Falls (attraction)
  5. Stanley Canyon Reservoir Trailhead (attraction)
  6. Monument Creek (attraction)
Paula from Cincinnati, Ohio

Be sure to check out Garden of the Gods and Manitou Springs! There is a train in Manitou that can even take you to the top of Pikes Peak. The United States Air Force Academy is also pretty cool to walk around, and the base is open to visitors during normal business hours. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is pretty decent too, but all uphill so depends on who you're with.

Be sure to drink plenty of water!

Carly from Colorado Springs

September is a beautiful time of year here in the Springs. Garden of the Gods is a MUST see. If you like local shopping, hit up Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs. Manitou is just fun to walk around and watch people. Get some good hiking in by visiting Red Rock Canyon Open Space. It's at good altitude so it shouldn't hurt you too much. Beer -Bristol Brewing Company is the coolest brewery by far. But best beer would have to be either Trinity Brewing Co (just because of amount of beers on tap) or Rocky Mountain Brewery (personal favorite). As far as food, there are a couple of good local eats - Trinity and RMB both have really good food. Bingo Burger downtown has the best burgers I've ate so far, La Baguette French Bistro is suppose to have the best French Onion Soup (not a huge fan of that soup, so I've not ate there yet, The Wild Goose Meeting House has really good healthy options food, King Chef's has fantastic breakfast (takes cash only) or Over Easy also has really great breakfast. Hope you have fun while you are here, Kira.

1. Garden of the Gods (attraction)
  2. Old Colorado City (attraction)
  3. Manitou Springs (city)
  4. Red Rock Canyon Open Space (attraction)
  5. Bristol Brewing Company (restaurant)
  6. Trinity Brewing Co (restaurant)
  7. Rocky Mountain Brewery (restaurant)
  8. Bingo Burger (restaurant)
  9. La Baguette French Bistro (restaurant)
  10. The Wild Goose Meeting House (restaurant)
  11. Over Easy (restaurant)
Martin from Colorado

Looks like everyone hit on all my suggestions.  There were posts on a trip from Colorado Springs to Vail, that also has some good info.

1. Colorado Springs (city)
  2. Vail (city)
Peter from Munich

I was driving across country and it brought me close to colorado springs. I had to take the detour and see how close i could get to Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station. The famous home of the "Stargate". I was not able to get very close, because the road leading up the mountain is closed for regular traffic and I didnt had enough time to go hiking some of the trails arround it.