Tracey
San Antonio

Tracey from San Antonio asked

Help me decide - Where to vacation in Colorado?

We are heading to Colorado (from San Antonio, TX) for our family's summer road trip vacation.  There are 6 of us--3 adults, 3 children (ages 10, 8, & 3).  However, I'm at a loss and don't know where to go.

Trip Dates:  August 5th - 12th

Current Plan:  Drive into Colorado Springs on Sunday.  Stay somewhere for 2 nights (Sun & Mon).  Check out Pikes Peak and Seven Falls and any other attractions in CO Springs. 

Here's where I need y'all...We plan to leave Tuesday morning, but don't know where to go.  We are looking for a few things:

1. Scenery - mountains, wildlife, beautiful views

2. Water - fishing, playing in the water, tubing (not rafting), Hot Springs

3. Parks for the kids

4. Trails for easy hikes for the kids and my 63-year-old dad

5. Relaxation - We want to just relax and enjoy the scenery the rest of the week.

6. Budget Vacation Rentals

Please provide any suggestions on cities/towns in Colorado that "fit the bill" described.  We've looked into Frisco/Silverthorne area and Salida/Buena Vista.  

I'm also concerned with the wildfires currently and don't know the areas well enough to make sure we wouldn't be affected.

If you've read this far...THANK YOU!  

Colorado (CO)   Colorado Springs (Colorado)   Frisco (Colorado)   Silverthorne (Colorado)   Salida (Colorado)   Buena Vista (Colorado)

Dave from Houston

The two road trips we've most enjoyed in Colorado were:

The trip up Gold Camp Road from Colorado Springs to Victorville. As I recall this is about 8 miles of well maintained and hard packed dirt road through incredibly scenic wilderness. Loved it, Check current conditions before you go.

The other trip, also spectacular and more grandiose was the trip up through Rocky Mountain National Park starting near Boulder and going up over the Continental Divide. June would be a perfect time for this trip.

Though both are very scenic, the two trips have very different scenery. 

Gaylynn