Lise
Huntsville

Colorado, Denver

Best places to see for scenery

I am in the planning stage of going to Colorado for a week at the the end of July or sometime in August. Went there 30 years ago to ski in Vail but now I want to see it in the summer. I will be renting a car (presume the only place to fly in is Denver) and want to see as much as possible as far as the mountains and any wildflowers that may be blooming then. I don't mind at all doing some hiking, not up in the mountains but more flat areas or easier terrain. Would like to do some shopping while there just to see what the areas have to offer. Don't want to spend a lot on hotels, like Holiday inn Express, Hampton Inn, those type of hotels since I will be using them just for sleeping and eating breakfast. How is the weather there that time of year? I am very active and once I go to a new area try to see as much as possible while there. Thank you ahead of time for any input.

I haven't been to Colorado in some time but the Wet Mountain Valley (Silver Cliff  and Westcliffe) is between two sets of mountains.  I also remember visiting the Uncompahgre Plateau  https://dcasler.com/2011/08/13/uncompahgre-plateau-july-4th-wildflowers/  Some different scenery is at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve and of course there is Garden of the GodsMount Evans Mesa Verde National Park (which I can't put the pin in it because it is in the wrong place here but it is down south of Dolores) and Royal Gorge Bridge and Park When we were traveling in an old car we went across the Continental Divide at Berthoud Pass.

1. Silver Cliff (attraction)
  2. Uncompahgre Plateau (natural feature)
  3. Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve (attraction)
  4. Garden of the Gods (attraction)
  5. Mount Evans (attraction)
  6. Dolores (city)
  7. Royal Gorge Bridge and Park (attraction)
  8. Berthoud Pass (attraction)

I like The Denver Mint, Golden, CO. Pike's Peak. Garden of The Gods. Brice Canyon. Colorado Springs is considered to be one of the most Romantic Cities. Boulder. Etc. Take the free 16th or 13th st train to the end and take the Snow Train.