Maggie asked

Should I go in January?

We're landing in Milan mid January, and leaving Rome 2 weeks later.

Will Cinque Terre be worth the visit? Any ideas for this mother/daughter (19yrs) adventure?

Thanks

Cinque Terre (Italy)

Mary from Leicester

In my opinion, most definitely yes.

Whilst January weather is not likely to be hot and sunny (though it may well be sunny and mild), the Cinque Terre villages will be just as they usually are...but won't be over-run by hordes of visitors (especially when a cruise ship is in dock in La Spezia). I'm afraid that can far too easily happen. 

You'll still be able to take the cheap, frequent trains from village to village, to walk around and enjoy their historical centres.....and you'll find cafes and shops open because the villages are lived-in year round. They're not just a tourist attraction: they are real communities.

The only downside, if you pan to do some walking, is that the weather might...might...mean some of the CT National Park paths are closed. You'll need a CT pass to walk any of the paths in the park (available from the CT info office in La Spezia Centrale station as well as at local TI offices). This page will tell you what the situation is as your dates come nearer:

http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/Esentieri-outdoor.php

I'd suggest you base yourselves for at least a couple of nights in La Spezia, a larger town with its own historical interest, a wider choice of accommodation and places to eat & drink as well as some excellent museums. Then use the train to visit any or all of the 5 CT villages, as best suits you. 

Train times, details and fares in English on the official Italian railway website:

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

There is no need to buy local (Regionale) train tickets in advance online. Just buy them at the station on the day you travel. Ticket machines have English language options. It is, however, worth buying e.g. Milano Centrale>La Spezia Centrale tickets online in advance. There are excellent advance online discount fares for the faster trains. 

1. Cinque Terre (hotel)
  2. La Spezia (city)
Lara from Perrysburg

Hello!  I just discovered Trippy today and am delighted to join this community.

I concur with primarily with the response by Mary, but also with that of Paul.   I spent two weeks in Italy in December and January and found the experience really fulfilling. As Mary indicated, there are far fewer tourists in
Cinque Terre, or anywhere.

My winter travel was many years ago, but I don't remember being rained upon very frequently.

So, to answer your question succinctly and emphatically:  Yes!  

Cinque Terre is absolutely worth the visit. 

1. Cinque Terre (region)
Paul from Dublin

Northern Italycan be surprisingly wet and cold in winter so I wouldn't have big expectations. You could go to Cinque Terre and have lovely sunny days or you could have miserable cold wet days. It's a bit of a lottery. My best advice would be to go later in the year but I guess that's not an option.

1. Italy (country)
  2. Cinque Terre (hotel)