Valerie

Valerie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Christchurch for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Christchurch and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Christchurch is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Christchurch

Visage from Christchurch

If it is just accommodation and accessibility you are after then Bealey Ave in Christchurch central is bang in the middle keeping you at walking distance to the famous North Hagley Park and museums and restaurants around. It also has good bus access to the airport and the central bus station. Riccarton Rd would be your next choice for the malls, pubs, restaurants and bus routes .

1. Bealey Ave (attraction)
  2. North Hagley Park (attraction)
  3. Riccarton Rd (attraction)
Nardine from Tamworth (England)

Most hotels and motels(not like US motels) are in good areas anyway, do keep in mind though that they need to be booked in advance as a lot are taken up by workers for the rebuild. Look at Wotif.com and compare reviews. Riccarton is not a bad area, got shops and bars and close to CBD

1. Riccarton (attraction)
Agnes from Christchurch

There are also some central city hotels that might work. I wouldn't stay near the airport if you want to explore the city. Bealey Ave and Riccarton Rd (especially close to North Hagley Park) would work. 

1. Bealey Ave (attraction)
  2. Riccarton Rd (attraction)
  3. North Hagley Park (attraction)