Adriana
Miami

Adriana from Miami asked

Trip to China- best things to do in Shanghai, Beijing and HK?

Hello! I'm going on a trip to China Oct 19 until early November. I'm taking a tour the majority of the time including the Yangtze River cruise. I will be going to Beijing , Xi'an, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. I would love some advice on things to do there, places to eat and shop, places for beautiful views, and what to pack! Also I was wondering if anyone knows if the leaves have changed yet?  

Thanks for your help!

China   Beijing   Shanghai   Hong Kong

ding from Beijing

Hi guys!

Sorry about that I can speak english only a little.

The leaves don't be changing now by weather,but maybe after two weeks. See them at Xiangshan香山).

You can shop at Silk Street(秀水街), It near by JIANGUOMEN(建国门).

You can walk round HOUHAI(后海),and taste roast duck at QUANJUDE(全聚德),they are authentic.

Welcome to China,Welcome to beijing.

1. Xiangshan (city)
Karl from Ho Chi Minh City

Your guided tour should take you to most of the "must sees" in those cities. Though if you have a free day or half day here are some interesting areas not often on the standard programs. In Beijing check out Beijing 798 Art Zone, an old munitions factory turned Art Zone, it's a bit out of the city center. You can take a taxi but I would make sure you have access to translator or guide as drivers in Beijing don't always speak English, unless you've got some Mandarin skills. A great restaurant is Duck de Chine an upscale Beijing Duck restaurant. A better idea might be for you checkout http://www.thebeijinger.com/ and find a recommended restaurant near your hotel that suites your tastes. For a good view climb the man-made hill, Jingshan Park that overlooks the The Palace Museum(aka Forbidden City). It's worth the walk to see the entire complex from above.

Xi'an is fairly quiet and other than the Terra Cotta Warriors, City Wall, Big Goose Pagoda and Mosque there's not much else. Xi'an is famous for it's noodles. There are loads of great local restaurants, I'd ask your guide for recommendations.

Shanghai has way too much for one post but if you like food you should really contact the folks at http://untourshanghai.com/ It's a fantastic street food tour owned and operated by two really cool long-term expats. They can recommend great things to do in the city.and they may have some recommendations for great places in Hong Kong.

1. Beijing 798 Art Zone (attraction)
  2. Duck de Chine (attraction)
  3. Jingshan Park (attraction)
  4. The Palace Museum (attraction)
  5. Mosque (attraction)
Prerna from London

Shanghai has so much to do and see! New World although quite touristy, has a lot of good places to eat, it is also right near a mall where you can shop. Yong Kang Lu and Dan Shui Lu are a little more local and great for happy hour. Nanjing East Rd is another great place for shopping! There are lots of markets such as Han City Fashion & Accessories Plaza  what would be great for you to shop at. Mo Gan Shan Lu is another cool place to visit, it has lots of art galleries and graffiti. In terms of views, The Bund No.5 is your best bet! But it does get really crowded, in which case The House of Roosevelt 罗斯福公馆 and Bar Rouge have unbeatable views. I never got the change to go to Shanghai World Financial Center observation deck is amazing! Jinshanzui would be a great place to see the changing leaves.

Hong Kong has amazing shopping, especially in Central with lots of malls and shops everywhere. Green Waffle Diner is a place I would say is worth visiting. View points, The Peak is a must see! I personally love the view from OZONE Bar it is much more of a bird's eye view. The Symphony of Lights show at Victoria Harbour is also worth seeing. 

Hope all this helps! Enjoy your trip! 

1. Shanghai (city)
  2. New World (attraction)
  3. Yong Kang Lu (attraction)
  4. Dan Shui Lu (attraction)
  5. Nanjing East Rd (attraction)
  6. Han City Fashion & Accessories Plaza (attraction)
  7. Mo Gan Shan Lu (attraction)
  8. The Bund No.5 (attraction)
  9. The House of Roosevelt 罗斯福公馆 (restaurant)
  10. Bar Rouge (restaurant)
  11. Shanghai World Financial Center (attraction)
  12. Jinshanzui (attraction)
  13. Hong Kong (city)
  14. Central (neighborhood)
  15. Green Waffle Diner (restaurant)
  16. The Peak (attraction)
  17. OZONE Bar (restaurant)
  18. Victoria Harbour (attraction)