Carolina
Miami

Carolina from Miami asked

Planning a big trip

Hi All! 

My husband and are going to China for a business trip & decided why not see other countries as well.  My question is, would it be feasible to add Thailand or Cambodia as well as Nepal to our trip?  We were planning 2.5 weeks.  And what would you all recommend we see in each country?  We have some ideas but would love your help! 

Thanks much!!

Carolina

China   Thailand   Nepal   Cambodia

Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam

For 2,5 weeks, I think you should add Thailand only for your trip because you'll get free visa for under 4 weeks in Thailand. Furthermore, in Thailand you can enjoy a lot of interesting things like golden temple, national park, street foods and so on.

1. Thailand (attraction)
Marie from Austin (Texas)

Hi Carolina, While that may be technically feasible, you would spend a ton of time traveling. Maybe pick two countries? I was in Thailand and Cambodia for 2 months and still didn't see a lot of things I wanted to. Angkor What was the highlight of my time and Cambodia is a very inexpensive country. If I were to do Thailand again I would do the following: 1-2 nights in Bangkok, 4-5 nights island hopping or at a beach area like Ko Tao, Karabi, Phuket, etc., 3-4 nights in Chang Mai or Chang Ria. Then I would go to Siam Reap in Cambodia for 2-3 days to see Angkor What and the Tonle Sap, which has beautiful floating villages, and time permitting, go to Phenom Pen or the beach in Cambodia for another 2-3 days. I think that would give you a true taste for each of those countries. Another thing you could do if you're not sure of the dates/countries is go on skyscanner.com, enter the country and some approximate dates and search "everywhere" as the destination. It'll show you the best days and cheapest rates for nearby countries. Good luck! 

Carolina
Thank you so much! This is super helpful!

Lisa
Carolina, If traveling to Thailand, keep in mind that their King and the world's long living monarch of 70 years recently passed away about a week ago. The country is in a state of mourning for one year, especially government workers. I just left there and you should keep this in mind if you plan to visit this country. Not to take anything away from the Land of Smiles.

Dhiran

hi,

i am from Nepal and i recommend following places to visit in nepal

-world heritage sites in Kathmandu

-Pokhara

-Nagrota

-cChitwan

-Lumbini(birth place of lord Buddha)

-if you have time you can do trek in nepal (like 3 days Poon Hill)

thanks

1. Nepal (country)
  2. Kathmandu (city)
  3. Pokhara (city)
  4. Nagrota (attraction)
  5. Chitwan (city)
  6. Lumbini (attraction)
  7. Poon Hill (attraction)
Santosh

Hello,

Nepal is such a lovely country to visit, if you love Himalayasand the mountain, you should must visit

1. Nepal (country)
  2. Himalayas (attraction)
Olav from Asker

Before planning tour details in Nepal, ensure it's the right season. The hot season (Mid-March-June) is hot and dusty, late June through mid-September has frequent rains, hot and humid. Mid-September towards end of November is the best time, December-February can be cold. With only 2 1/2 weeks to spare and two or three countries to visit you should choose carefully what to achieve/see in each. In Nepal you should definitely look outside Kathmandu Valley. Nepal has no beach, Thailand has. To get to Nepal from Beijing is not difficult, but no direct flights. From Beijing you can fly to GuangzhouGuangzhou or ChengduChengdu and fly from there. An adventurous, but long journey to Nepal is by the Beijing-Lhasa (Tibet) train, and jeep from there into Nepal. To combine with Thailand/Cambodia, fly to Bangkok by a Chinese airlines or Thai Airways. I just published a book on Himalayan Map House (Himalayan Guidebooks), Kathmandu, "Adventures in Nepal", which gives you an overview of what you can accomplish in Nepal in so-and-so many days. A general guidebook such as Lonely Planet's or Rough Guide's  on Nepal also give you a good perspective of what you can do and also detailed tips on accommodation and cultural and urban things to do. Thailand is an easier place for relaxation, so the times I have combined the two, I have spent a few days on return travels from Nepal via Bangkok - Thai Airways - and taken in some cultural sights and a few outlying places before returning home (Norway). I have also done so with family/children with success. Thailand is easy compared to Nepal. Both Nepal and Thailand has enough to see and do for weeks, so you are in for some though priorities. Enjoy! 

1. Guangzhou (city)
  2. Chengdu (city)