Courtney

Courtney from Los Angeles asked

Festivals in China?

I’m planning a trip to Shanghai and I’d like to try to see a few other cities and towns as long as I’m there. Since I can go any time I was thinking about trying to hit a festival or two—preferably one that reflects the culture in some way (no hot dog eating contests;) or local food (again—no hot dogs;) Can someone recommend a few I might consider?

China   Shanghai (China)

Lily from Chengdu

Do not come to China during the main festivals,such as National Day holiday or Spring Festival,everywhere is packed,crowded,hard to get flight tickets and expensive!

If you want to see the festivals,I recommend you to visit Guizhou Province, where the home of colorful minorities,where still keep their tradition.Try to visit there in Spring,the "Sister Festival",or in winter,"Lusheng Festival".

For food, Chengdu will be a great place,it is one of the culinary capital of China for spicy and yummy food. And hometown of PANDA! Around Chengdu,there are many world culture heritage sites,such as Giant Buddha of Leshan, Jiuzhaigou National Park....

Anything unclear, feel free to ask me:)

1. Guizhou Province (attraction)
  2. Chengdu (city)
  3. Giant Buddha of Leshan (attraction)
  4. Jiuzhaigou National Park (amusement park)
Xiang from San Jose

if you could hold up to Sep, then 09/08/2014 will be the mid-autumn day. People will eat moon cake for celebration but not sure what kind of event it will have in the citys. The food - moon cake could be found everywhere, some merchant like "元祖(Yuanzu)" even offer ice cream version as I remember.