Rodger

China

3 week visit to Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, and Shanghai- what to see?

Beijing for 3/4 days bullet train to Xian 3 days, Chengdu for 2 days , 3 gorges dam cruise, Shanghai for 3 days.

Any definite 'Do Not Miss ' or 'don't bother ' places in these Cities. 55 yr old with his wife.

Both still very active, thanks! 

Larry

Absolutely see the panda research center in Chengdu. Go early in the morning as that is when they feed the bears and are the most active. Don't miss the red panda enclosures, yes red pandas. Also take a stroll through city center in Chengdu for a shopping experience. Great place to stay is Chengdu Renheng Fraser Suites very reasonably priced for fully equipped suite, kitchen, refrigerator, etc.

The three gorges dam cruise has beautiful scenery. We didn't take the full trip we left from my wife's hometown of Chongqing to the dam and back. I can only comment on our adventure. The ship lacks extra activities for the passengers. If you're not with a tour group and not bilingual in Mandarin can be changeling. All in all a great sight seeing experience. You'll enjoy the travel thru the locks to the damn if your awake during the process.

1. Chengdu (attraction)
  2. Chengdu Renheng Fraser Suites (hotel)

Lily from Chengdu

I am Chengduese,if you have two days in Chengdu,day 1, visit Chengdu Panda Breeding Research Center in the morning, back to downtown, having a cup of jasmine tea in People's Park, experience the laid back local life.There is a very authentic local restaurant Ziwei, next to Heming tea house, menu with pictures available:) 

The keep walking to Kuan Alley and Zhai Alley, lovely folk street to explore. 

Dinner,you could step into local hotpot restaurant (I can send you an article about how to order in local Sichuan hotpot restaurant, if you are interested). 

Day 2,You could take high speed train to visit Giant Buddha of Leshan. or visit Mt Qingcheng to find your inner peace. 

I agree, Chengdu Renheng Fraser Suites is a good choice,downtown location, only 5 minutes walk to Tianfu Square with huge Mao statue, 20 minutes walking distance to People's park. 

We are local agancy based in Chengdu,if you have any questions about my hometown, I am glad to share my local experience with you. Please feel free to email us: info@westchinago.com 

For Yangtze river cruise ,there are so many cruise ships,we can help you to find Your Ship at the unbeatable price. 

All the best to your China Adventure!

1. Chengdu Panda Breeding Research Center (attraction)
  2. People's Park (attraction)
  3. Kuan Alley and Zhai Alley (attraction)
  4. Giant Buddha of Leshan (attraction)
  5. Mt Qingcheng (attraction)
  6. Chengdu Renheng Fraser Suites (hotel)
  7. Tianfu Square (attraction)