Dipika

Dipika from Chicago asked

Patagonia in Winter: Is it a good idea?

I will be in South America in July of 2015.  I would love to visit Patagonia (both Argentina and Chile).  I've seen mixed reviews on visiting in the winter.  What would you recommend?  I am from Chicago so I am used to the cold.  Would love to hear about winter options.  Thanks!

Chile   Argentina   Patagonia (Argentina)

alejandra from Chile

The problem in july is the rain not only the cold . And the Torres del Paine that is beautiful its a pity to loose them with clouds.

Maybe the Atacama Desert at San Pedro De Atacama in the north is bettter

Christine from Auckland

Hey Dipika

I agree it could be disappointing in July in Patagonia. I was in the north of Argentina at that time though and it was great. Salta and Cafayate and San Salvador de Jujuy and Tilcara all the way up to the Bolivian border are great scenery, you can trek or horse ride in the hills. I would do that. Bolivia is a bit more difficult for travelling, but you could loop through the spectacular Uyuni Salt Flat and around into San Pedro De Atacama. Also maybe start in Buenos Aires which is always interesting and just get on the bus to go north.  Have fun,  Christine

1. Salta (city)
  2. Cafayate (city)
  3. San Salvador de Jujuy (city)
  4. Tilcara (city)
  5. Uyuni Salt Flat (attraction)
  6. San Pedro De Atacama (city)
  7. Buenos Aires (city)
Ros from England

I was on the Argentinian side late February and even then the weather was quite cold and very windy. I visited Puerto Montt in Chile at Easter and it was disappointing as we didn't get to see much due to the weather. It is a wonderful place but I don't think going In the winter will do it justice.

1. Puerto Montt (city)
Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Dipika!  I just got done planning a trip next February to Chile, for my wife and me.  I researched all areas at different times of the year.  In my opinion I would discourage travel during that time.  You can do some day trips, but many of the places are not very accessible, based on my research.  My wife and I will spend a few days in SantiagoAtacama RegionEaster Island, and Colchagua Province.  Any of these are more viable options in the winter, in my opinion.  Chile is really a place of extremes, so plan carefully.  Hope that helps!

1. Santiago (city)
  2. Atacama Region (attraction)
  3. Easter Island (island)
  4. Colchagua Province (attraction)