Lyse

Chile

Camping in Chile

Hola! I hope someone can help me! I'm doing a semester in Buenos Aires starting in January and I'm taking the fall semester to camp around South America (with friends--I'm not crazy). We're starting in Chile (one of my friends has family there) and then playing it by ear. Any good ideas about where to camp in Chile? Or just places to see would be good, too. Gracias for your suggestions (and wish us luck!!!)

Juanma from Concepción, Chile

Hi. There are some amazing National Parks in Chile where you can camp. Parque Nacional Huerquehue and Conguillío National Park are two of my favorite, both on southern Chile in the Andes Mountains. Just Google thoose places, you can see they are prety unique landscapes with volcanoes, lakes and forests. And January is the perfect season to go there, because from April to September Southern Chile is cold and rainy.

Valle Del Elqui is also a great alternative for camping, is a beautiful green valley sorrounded by dry mountains. Ther's a very special "energy" in the place, and also is one of the clearest skies in the world, so it's great to relax and look to the stars. 

1. Parque Nacional Huerquehue (attraction)
  2. Conguillío National Park (attraction)
  3. Andes Mountains (attraction)
  4. Valle Del Elqui (attraction)

Diego from Valdivia, Chile

Well it will always depend on the money you have. Of the places that you should visit are the "Santuario de la naturaleza el Cañi" Reserva Huilo-huilo Conguillío National Park

Bueno siempre va a depender del dinero que tengas. De los lugares que te recomiendo que visites son el "Santuario de la naturaleza el Cañi" Reserva Huilo-huilo, Conguillío National Park 

1. Reserva Huilo-huilo (attraction)

Michael from Regensburg

Conguillío National Park is a unique place. Camping and hiking there is magical!

1. Conguillío National Park (attraction)

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

You can't camp here but don't miss the Grey Glacier. It's got this incredible blue color that has to be seen to be believed. 

Also, the La Portada de Antofagasta is a must-see. Beautiful, earthy natural gateway off the coast of Chile and protected national monument.

If you can, check out Montaña Mágia Lodge. There's literally a waterfall on the outside of the lodge. The water here is said to be incredibly pure and healing and the incredible part is that it is considered to be forest dwelling of sorts and much of the natural water carves through the trees. Serene.

1. Grey Glacier (attraction)
  2. La Portada de Antofagasta (attraction)
  3. Montaña Mágia Lodge (hotel)