Kelly
St. Louis

Chile, Argentina

Any advice on travel within Chile and Argentina?

My two girlfriends (early thirties) and I want to explore Chile and Argentina soon. Is there a best time to go? Fun cities with adventure? Most beautiful, relaxing place? Best sites to find most affordable tickets both to these places and within South America? Any other tips on what to see/do would be much appreciated!!! We would likely have about 2 weeks of travel time. Thanks!  

Kelly

Stephanie from Santiago

If your looking for authentic experiences you should reach out to a startup called LocalAventura based in both Argentina and Chile. They can set you up with tours from local experts like winemakers, international photojournalists, mountaineers etc. Right now their company is still growing a lot so a lot of their tour guides aren't yet listed on their website but since they are so small they really care about helping people out individually. You can set up a time to speak with the co-founder and they will plan a customized trip just for whatever your needs are. It's worth reaching out. Try emailing founders@localaventura.com, it's worth it believe me. 

Hello Kelly!  Jacey and I were in Chile for two weeks in February.  We spent time in Santiago and stayed at the The Aubrey in the Bellavista neighborhood.  It is a stone's throw from the funicular which takes you to the top of Cerro San Cristobal, which offers sweeping views of Santiago and the Andes.  We underestimated our time in Santiago though.  It deserves more than the 36 hours we gave it, but with higher priorities, that's all we had this time.  From there we went to San Pedro De Atacama in the Atacama Region.  Very high altitudes - 7k feet to 16k.  We never got higher than the Tatio Geyser at about 14k feet.  Some of the best stargazing in the world too.  We spent crest of our time on Easter Island and in the Colchagua Province for world class wine, especially reds. We have every intention of going back, and would spend more time in Santiago, but then incorporate Valparaiso and Patagonia and Torres del Paine.  Have not been to Argentina yet, but met a lot of folks in our travels that loved Santiago and were not fans of Buenos Aires.  

I can can tell you I have no regrets about his our trip went, and I would highly recommend everywhere we went.  Spectacular experience.  If you decide on any of these places, and need more specifics, please feel free to fire back. Have a great time and safe travels!

1. Santiago (city)
  2. The Aubrey (hotel)
  3. Bellavista (attraction)
  4. Cerro San Cristobal (metro area)
  5. San Pedro De Atacama (city)
  6. Atacama Region (attraction)
  7. Tatio Geyser (attraction)
  8. Easter Island (island)
  9. Colchagua Province (attraction)
  10. Valparaiso (city)
  11. Patagonia (attraction)
  12. Torres del Paine (attraction)

Romy from Tel Aviv

There is a lot to see in both countries and there is a lot of information about them online, but the best advice I can give you about travelling in Argentina is to bring Dollars (cash) since its value in the blue market (in the streets) is much higher than the official rate and it can save you a lot of money. It's rather safe to change on the streets (in the major cities you will hear people calling "cambio" and you can change there) and in some cities you can change in restaurants/kiosks and even hostels. Yet the southern you go the lower the rate is so if you're planning on going to the south cahnge enough cash in Buenos Aires or whereever you go from...

1. Argentina (attraction)
  2. Buenos Aires (city)

Aerin from Santa Barbara

It depends what you like to do but I'll never forget seeing the Torres del Paine National Park. It was absolutely one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

1. Torres del Paine (attraction)