jurriaan
Amsterdam

What to do if you only have one day in Chicago?

Hi, if you've already seen all the big sights, what would be a good, stylish way to spend one day in Chicago? Breakfast, shopping, coffee, lunch, museum/gallery, park, restaurant, cocktail bar?

Lauren from Chicago

Hi Jurriaan,

For breakfast/brunch I'd try The Publican or Lula Café. Doughnut Vault is another great option for a quick bite. 

For shopping head to Wicker Park near Milwaukee & North Ave. or Lincoln Square Neighborhood/North Center for some of my favorite stores like Alapash New Home (and Terrariums)Isle of ManMerz Apothecary, or Ravensgoods.

Coffee-so many options. I love Heritage Bicycles or Heritage OutpostC.C. Ferns, and Ipsento Coffee.

Lunch - if it's nice out the patio at Big Star is the place to be. If you can get a table at Au Cheval they have the best cheeseburger you will ever eat, and Dolce Italian is a great new option in River North.

Not sure if The Art Institute of Chicago is a "big sight" you've already seen, but definitely make a stop there if you haven't.

For dinner, Blackbird Restaurant and Avec are 2 favorites near downtown. Bavette's Bar and Boeuf is my favorite Chicago restaurant, but reservation are tough - a seat at the bar can be an option. Another great spot is Longman & Eagle in Logan Square, however they don't take reservations, so you can give them your mobile number and grab a tike drink at Lost Lake while you wait. Other great cocktail bars are Violet HourBilly SundayAviary, and Scofflaw to name a few. 

Have a great trip and let me know if you need any more recommendations!

1. The Publican (restaurant)
  2. Lula Café (restaurant)
  3. Doughnut Vault (restaurant)
  4. Wicker Park (neighborhood)
  5. Lincoln Square Neighborhood (attraction)
  6. North Center (neighborhood)
  7. Alapash New Home (and Terrariums) (attraction)
  8. Isle of Man (attraction)
  9. Merz Apothecary (attraction)
  10. Ravensgoods (attraction)
  11. Heritage Bicycles (attraction)
  12. Heritage Outpost (attraction)
  13. C.C. Ferns (restaurant)
  14. Ipsento Coffee (restaurant)
  15. Big Star (restaurant)
  16. Au Cheval (restaurant)
  17. Dolce Italian (restaurant)
  18. The Art Institute of Chicago (attraction)
  19. Blackbird Restaurant (restaurant)
  20. Avec (restaurant)
  21. Bavette's Bar and Boeuf (restaurant)
  22. Longman & Eagle (restaurant)
  23. Lost Lake (restaurant)
  24. Violet Hour (restaurant)
  25. Billy Sunday (attraction)
  26. Aviary (restaurant)
  27. Scofflaw (attraction)

Paul from Houston

Architecture boat tour is a must do if you go in warmer months. There are a ton of rooftop bars. I'd also go to Second City for some classic laughs.

1. Second City (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I would go to Chicago Loop to admire the beautiful architecture, visit the Willis Tower and take some fun pictures in the sky deck, then go to the Millennium Park, cross the river towards Michigan Avenue, the Magnificent Mile, and if you have time, take a cruise in the afternoon to sea the sunset. To end the night you can have a drink in the Chicago Riverwalk and eat dinner in one of the many restaurants the city has. That would be a perfect day for me. 

1. Chicago Loop (neighborhood)
  2. Willis Tower (attraction)
  3. Millennium Park (attraction)
  4. Michigan Avenue (attraction)
  5. Chicago Riverwalk (attraction)