Rebecca asked

Best route & where to stop

Hi All. My husband and I are driving over the Xmas holidays from Chicago to LA. I would LOVE advice on where to stop to stay the night, or have layover days along the way. We are very cautious about Covid and are seeking areas with air bnb's we can rent or where there is outdoors to explore that will not be mobbed. Because of Covid, we will not be doing any typical indoor sight-seeing, nor will we be eating in restaurants etc. Here is the approximate driving amount we are looking to do each day. I'd LOVE your suggestions of where to stop to stay that somewhat line up with this! And if you have suggestions of roads to drive other than route 66, we'd love to hear that too:
Day 1 - approximately 5 hours driving, leaving Chicago
Day 2 - app. 7-8 hours
Day 3 - layover or just a few hours of driving
Day 4 - 5-6 hours driving
Day 5 - layover or stay for a few days someplace lovely and safe
Day 6 - 4-5 hours driving
Day 7 - 4-6 hours driving

WE WELCOME YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

Chicago (Illinois) Los Angeles (California)

I have been traveling all over. Places are cleaner than ever. Wear a mask, get a box of gloves, flip flops from the $1 store. I wear flip flops in the shower. Put paper sacks or plastic bags on the floor of the car and throw away daily. Etc. Drive to Gold Strike Casino and Hotel. 20 minutes south of Memphis. Hotwire is great for hotels near your area. I would drive to Oklahoma City. Then Albuquerque, NM. Then to Henderson, NV. I like Sam's Town.  Then relax. Then drive on to CA. I was going to drive that in March. 
We have to be cautious. Be your own Pharmacy. Get meds from the $1 store. Keep a case of water in the care. Carry your own TP into the Loo.

Jojo

I was registering and this question popped up. Well, I have no experience driving from Chicago to LA, but I'll drop some pins in the LA area.

Angels flight and adjacent broadway area(dtla is kinda sketchy now but it shows great history, some old theater, Bradbury building etc, but you can only view from outside I guess),

little Tokyo,

San Clemente pier(well this one is between san Diego and LA, say if you want to visit a really nice beach that's not Santa Monica, quieter, cleaner, I would say this one's good)