Cyndi

Chicago recommendations for brief business trip?

Hello,

Sunday morning I will be flying to Chicago.  I will be working there Monday and Tuesday, then flying home Tuesday evening.  I will have all day Sunday to roam around (and eat and drink and shop), plus will need some restaurant recommendations for Monday evening as well.  Any suggestions?  I do not eat a lot of meat, but I love seafood, and would also love for one of my meals to be a good pizza.  I am also really interested in checking out craft beers and distilleries.

I am staying at the Embassy Suites at 600 North State St and plan to take cabs or walk.  Right now the forecast calls for high of 32 and snowing...

Gaia from Chicago

Hi Cyndi!

For a one-day trip, you might want to stay downtown and visit places such as the The Bean or Water Tower Place. If you want to leave the beaten path, the neighborhoods of Old Town and Wicker Park are perfect for coffee The Wormhole Coffee, shopping (check out Division St). And there, breweries abound (make sure to wash down some beer with Stan's Donuts). 

Lou Malnati's Pizzeriais good for pizza (and the typical stop in Chicago), but for still awesome food, decent price, and fish check out Grand Lux Cafe: love it!

I hope the weather will collaborate, 

Enjoy the Windy City! :) 

1. Water Tower Place (attraction)
  2. Old Town (attraction)
  3. Wicker Park (neighborhood)
  4. The Wormhole Coffee (restaurant)
  5. Division St (attraction)
  6. Stan's Donuts (attraction)
  7. Lou Malnati's Pizzeria (restaurant)
  8. Grand Lux Cafe (restaurant)
  9. The Bean (attraction)

Leonard from Minneapolis

If you're looking for a unique spot for dining or a stop for drinking and even a little entertainment (if you're there on the right night), I highly recommend checking out Untitled Chicago in the downtown. (www.untitledsupperclub.com). Done up as a speakeasy, it's truly a unique experience.

All of Jillian's recommendations are spot on.

As for the best Chicago pizza, that's a topic that has sparked fist fights and broken up families for generations!  But here are some good recommendations!

http://www.trippy.com/question/Chicago-Best-Chicago-pizza

Jillian from Los Angeles

Fun! I'm from Chicago and the beauty about the cold Chicago weather is the delicious food that makes up for it. :)

For seafood, I would highly recommend GT Fish & Oyster. Sit at the bar, order a draft beer, and treat yourself to some delicious fresh oysters. The tuna poke is also one of my favorites, and the lobster roll or oyster po'boy slider will not disappoint. If you want a table for work dinner, make reservations asap as it does get crowded. However, they do have a "boomerang" table that is for walk-ins as well as the bar as I mentioned.

Another amazing spot is The Publican. Super fresh, super trendy, super awesome seafood. 

For a work dinner, I'd recommend Momotaro. It's currently my number one spot for sushi and fish. It's pricy, but worth every penny. Would also recommend reservations. Here's a picture from my recent dinner:

For pizza, just go for Lou Malnati's Pizzeria. The only thing is if you like pineapple on your pizza, you won't get it at Lou's. If you are a pineapple pizza person, go for Giordano's. And if you're down to cab it, definitely go for Pequod's Pizza. They. have. caramelized. crust. Enough said!

1. GT Fish & Oyster (restaurant)
  2. The Publican (restaurant)
  3. Momotaro (restaurant)
  4. Lou Malnati's Pizzeria (restaurant)
  5. Giordano's (restaurant)
  6. Pequod's Pizza (restaurant)

Tim from Chicago

Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab is awesome and it's right nearby (but expensive). Shaw's Crab House is a Chicago Classic also and its close, they have a lounge/raw bar that's great. There is a Giordano's pizza is about 8 blocks north of your hotel.... its Chicago stuffed pizza. busy. I prefer Malnati's pizza as most others have said. The Publican is another good call.

1. Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab (restaurant)
  2. Shaw's Crab House (restaurant)
  3. Giordano's (restaurant)
  4. Malnati's pizza (restaurant)
  5. The Publican (restaurant)

Dabs from Chicago

My favorite pizzas are Giordano's Pizza for stuffed and Lou Malnati's Pizzeria for deep dish.  Both have multiple locations, I find the Giordano's on Randolph to be a little less crowded than the one on Rush. Both kinds of pizza are heavy, stuffed more so than deep dish so have a look at what the table next to you is getting before you order.  For seafood, I like Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab but it is an expensive meal.  I also like Shaw's Crab House and on the pricey side.  Have not been to GT Fish & Oyster but it gets good reviews. 

1. Giordano's Pizza (restaurant)
  2. Lou Malnati's Pizzeria (restaurant)
  3. Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab (restaurant)
  4. Shaw's Crab House (restaurant)
  5. GT Fish & Oyster (restaurant)