Beth asked

What to do and how to get around after arriving AMTRAK in Chicago

My daughter and I would like an affordable low budget but safe trip to Chicago. We will take AMTRAK to union station. I understand we can use public transportation from there to get to a hotel or air bnb. I need suggestions on where to stay, affordable fun shopping, and what sites to be sure to see. I want to stay somewhere safe and affordable but where we can use public transportation to get to everything. We have never been here and would like to hit the highlights!

Chicago (Illinois)

Jenna from Germantown (Wisconsin)
Hello Beth!
I took my children from Milwaukee to Chicago for an overnight during Spring Break. We stayed at a Courtyard Marriot right off Magnificent Mile. It's really nice, because they limit the number of reservations, and people on the elevator is limited to four people per elevator. We made reservations a couple weeks ahead of our date of visit for the Institue of Arts Museum and then we visited Shedd's Aquarium, also, we purchased tickets ahead of time for a reservation time to enter the building. Shedd Aquarium has a beautiful and large tank to see Dolphins, Beluga Whales and other animals. So worth it. Then we went for an Architecture Tour on the Boats which was a 2 hour boat ride. So many restaurants are closed or need reservations to go so plan ahead. Also, you need to download Uber or Lyft onto your phone, that's how we were able to get around the city easily. The cloud is not to be missed which is the big silver bean right by the Institute of Art, walk Millennium Park and come to the water fountain of faces. Navy Pier was closed during Spring Break as well. The other museum not to miss in Chicago is the Air and Space one and the Field museum where you see the dinasours. Of course I did some shopping at Magnificent Mile. I love pasta from Eataly. So much to do there, you'll have a great time.

D from Orland Park
There are plenty of affordable hotels but be careful where you stay. North Michigan Avenue has everything you would need as far as hotels, shopping and eating all within walking distance. For shopping, check out Water Tower Place and the 900 Shops. The museums are great but can be pricey depending on the day. Definitely try Chicago pizza at Giordanos, Lou Malanatis or Pizzeria Uno. I would not use a backpack but rather a zipped purse that you carry in front of you. You will also want to check out The Cloud structure in Millenium Park. For a great view of the city, go to the sky decks at either the Willis Tower or the John Hancock building. As with any city, be aware of your surroundings and stay close to your hotel at night.

The Red Line is 1 block from Union Station. Millennium Park is 2 blocks. These are large blocks. Do not carry a purse. Use a back pack. Carry protection. Museums may be free on Tuesdays. Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Museum of History are near each other. Lincoln Park Zoo in Old Town is Free. Belmont Ave is a good area to hang out, on Clark St. as well. It's freezing here now. If you are on a budget walk along the beach. It's better to go camping on a budget than a city. It costs me $100/day to go there. At least.