Alex

What is the best hotel for under $100/night?

I'd like to be near shopping, eating, and entertainment during my 3 days stay.

Michael from Manhattan

The time of your visit is going to be critical in how/where you find a sub $100/night hotel. If you are looking in late winter, your options are wider than the warmer months.

Chicago has a lot of low amenity hotels in the central areas, so you'll likely find at least a discount brand for under $150 with some search time. A decent and historic option that is usually cheaper is the Congress Plaza Hotel. If you want to go 3 star or higher, Priceline/Hotwire will be your only bet in downtown as most mid-level properties average around $200 in the summer. With that said, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you are really price conscious AND want a nice hotel, you can often score around $100 at the hotels near O'Hare International Airport and take the Blue Train into the city. Train travel time is about 45-60 minutes.

1. Congress Plaza Hotel (hotel)
  2. O'Hare International Airport (attraction)

Len from Chicago

Although I live in Chicago, I've found myself staying downtown quite often. Honestly I'd just use Hotel Tonight. If you're on an off-peak time you'll get a good deal. My wife and I used it last weekend and stayed at the Godfrey for $109. Usually it's in the $200-$300 range. 

Use "lkendall4" in the promo code section and you'll get $25 off your first booking. (Full transparency: I also get $25 if you book something) 

Shanel from New Jersey

Try trivago.com or Airbnb to find hotel deals around $100 in Chicago. If you find you can spend a bit more, try The Drake Hotel - the location is perfect for entertainment, shopping, restaurants, Lake Michigan etc.

1. Drake Hotel (attraction)

Mera from Georgetown, Guyana

1. Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago (hotel)
  2. Magnificent Mile (neighborhood)

Dabs from Chicago

$100 per night in Chicago is a hard number to hit unless you use some kind of discounter like blind bidding on Priceline or using Hotwire or you stay at a hostel, impossible if you are coming on a big convention weekend.  Let me know if that interests you and I can find a few names of hostels.  You might have a look at air bnb as well although the last few people I've talked to have gotten places well outside the center