Alessandro

Sweet home Chicago: any cool Jazz bars?

I'll be going to Chicago soon and I'd like to spend a few hours in a historic, smokey, dark and cool, NON tourist jazz club or venue...Sip a good bourbon and chat with a friend. Any idea fellows?

Thanks a lot

ross from Chicago

Jazz Showcase in south loop. Hands down best room in city and the oldest Jazz bar. Ask for Wayne or Joe.

1. Jazz Showcase (attraction)

Dan from Chicago

Andy's Jazz Club on Hubbard in River North is a nice upbeat jazz place.

A fun late night (kind of divey) jazz bar is Kingston Mines in Lincoln Park. Typically you don't show up to this one before midnight but live music every night and it is open until 5 am on the weekends. It is on Halsted Street if the cabbies try to give you the run around. John Mayer and Buddy Guy have been known to show up there when they are in town (although that is a very rare occurrence).   

Both have cover charges but I do not remember the exact price. I think Andy's may have been $15.

http://www.andysjazzclub.com/Contact_Us.aspx

http://www.kingstonmines.com/

There are plenty of others but these two I have specifically gone to these two recently and had a great time.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

1. Andy's Jazz Club (attraction)
  2. Kingston Mines (attraction)
  3. Halsted Street (attraction)

Denise from New Orleans

I really love the Green Mill Lounge in the Uptown area. It's a perfectly preserved example of 30's/40's style jazz club with neon lights outside and fantastic music ANY night of the week. It was a favorite haunt of Al Capone's and he even had a hidden escape hatch behind the bar built!

Brady from Manhattan Beach

There is only one Jazz bar to go to: The Green Mill.

1. The Green Mill (attraction)