Eli
Berwyn

Eli from Berwyn asked

Steakhouses in Chicago

I heard there are some really great steakhouses in Chicago, so I want to visit one or two while I'm there!  What are the best in town for my friend and I to have one awesome steak dinner?  One more thing -- we don't want a $500 steakhouse experience -- we're looking to spend about $200 at the most for the both of us.  Thank you!

Mary from Chicago

I agree Chicago Cut Steakhouse is great. Other great restaurants are Benny’s Chop House, Keefer's Restaurant, or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab. My absolute favorite is Joe's (I'm partial to the atmosphere there). Can't go wrong with any of the suggestions, though. Have fun!!

You've got me craving steak, Mary! Thanks for sharing! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer! :)

Jillian from Los Angeles

You've definitely picked the right city for steaks!

My top choice for a modern, yet classic steakhouse is Chicago Cut Steakhouse which is located right on the river so you also get a nice view! The service is great, and the steaks average about $50, so within your price range.

I haven't actually had a steak at Bavette's Bar and Boeuf, however I've heard great things and this is one of my favorite spots in Chicago at the moment. I love the trendy atmosphere and would be a different experience than a classic steakhouse. 

Last but not least, Mastro's Steakhouse is definitely worth checking out. It may be on the pricer side, but the steaks melt in your mouth, and the Lobster Mashed Potatoes and Gorgonzola Mac & Cheese will make it even more worth it.

Eli
These places sound awesome. Good to have options. Thank you Jillian!

Jillian
You're welcome. Would love to hear where you end up! Have fun treating yourself. :)

1. Chicago Cut Steakhouse (restaurant)
  2. Bavette's Bar and Boeuf (restaurant)
  3. Mastro's Steakhouse (restaurant)
Alana from Spokane

When I was in Chicago a few years ago, my friends and I went to a place called Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse that I was told was one of the best in town. AMAZING! And I'm singing that!  I'm pretty sure you can get away with $200 for two there and still be able to experience apps, entree, dessert and a glass of wine.  To give you an idea of cost, I think steaks go between $40-$100 there.  I remember I got the smallest cut filet mignon which was on the lower price spectrum and one of my friends got the huge porterhouse for about $100.  Both were great.  I hope you and your friend have fun!

Eli
This place sounds great. I'm not going to be doing the $100 porterhouse, but the low-mid range could work for us. Thank you Alana!

Alana
You're most welcome! If you go, let me know how you like it!

Lauren from Lansing, Illinois

Definitely try Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab. It's amazing! Such great food. It might end up being a little more than $200 depending on what you order. Definitely try the corn as a side and the oysters rockefeller appetizer if awesome!

Mmmmmm.... oysters rockefeller :)

Dan from Memphis

Gene & Georgetti's Restaurant is another Chicago classic worth a visit.

Erin from Chicago

I had an amazing steak dinner at Folklore Argentine Grill in Wicker Park/Bucktown. Reasonable and nice portions.

Eli
I like reasonable with nice portions. Thank you, Erin!

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere, mainly for its steaks.  Its famous for stone crab, but I think they have the best steaks in Chicago, as well.  Service is great.  Good wine list.  If you order stone crabs (which you should), stick with the mediums... much, much better bang for your buck than the large or jumbo's.