Stephen
Douglasville, Georgia

Restaurant under $30/plate for lunch in/around Palmer House

I have a meeting at the Willis Tower and I'm staying the night before at the Palmer House Hilton.  Before my meeting I'm going to take a buddy who lives in town to lunch.  Can you recommend the Lockwood Restaurant, Lobby Bar, Potter's Lounge, or something else VERY near by (easily walk-able)?  I'd like to keep it under $30/plate if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Dabs from Chicago

The Gage is a good recommendation, a couple of others to consider are Russian Tea Time on Adams which is a classic Russian restaurant with wood paneling and Russian servers or Rosebud Theater District which is where I always go before shows at the Shubert Theater (renamed Bank of America) which is very close to the Palmer House.  I tried Italian Village a few months back and am still not impressed.  I haven't been to Atwood Café in quite a few years (too many places to eat!) but I love the space, its in the old Reliance Building that was designed by Daniel Burnham.

1. The Gage (restaurant)
  2. Russian Tea Time (attraction)
  3. Rosebud Theater District (restaurant)
  4. Italian Village (restaurant)
  5. Atwood Café (restaurant)

Ann from Panama City Beach

I love love love the Atwood Café!  Y=The room is small and very cool.  The drinks are excellent ad the food is unique.  it has a very bistro look.  We often ate there before the theater.  High review!

1. Atwood Café (restaurant)

Michael from Manhattan

With your location in mind (the Loop is a dead zone for memorable food) I'd recommend The Gage. I've not been during lunch, but even a Monday for dinner is best with a res, so I recommend doing so for lunch just in case (Open Table). Gage Restaurant 

1. The Gage (restaurant)

Jillian from Los Angeles

Hey Stephen- I recently worked in the loop for several years, and based on your criteria, my recommendation would be The Gage. It's a trendy, upscale pup with great food and atmosphere.

As you can see on the map to the right, it's a close walk from the Palmer House Hilton. I would call for reservations just to be on the safe side. 

Have a great lunch and meeting in Chicago!

1. Palmer House Hilton (hotel)
  2. The Gage (restaurant)

Stephen from Douglasville, Georgia

We ended up at Atwood Café and really enjoyed it.  The food and Lemonade was great, and we did spend a bit of time making digs at the hipsters that thought they were business people and the business people that thought they were hipsters.  Overall, a great lunch.  Thanks!

1. Atwood Café (restaurant)