Laura

Quick Weekend Getaway!

I have received suggestions from friends.... 1. Millennium park ( how long should I give myself) 

2. Architecture tour in November ( miserable or okay) 

3. Art museum - how long to plan for? 

I also have Hancock for drinks, riverwaln by Chicago river, water tower on Michigan Avenue and the Navy Pier. Any more suggestions? We will be there 3days!

Roger

1-One hour, 2- Too cold 3- 2-3 hours

Melissa

It depends when you are coming to Chicago. If you are coming this month (February), I wouldn't go to the Chicago Riverwalk. Everything will be closed. During the weekend, the Loop is mostly dead except for North State Streetfor shopping. The The Chicago Theatre sign makes for a nice picture, it is on state street. Millennium ParkMaggie Daley Park Rock Climbing, and Grant Parkare a nice walk, you can ice skate and take nice pictures, but I wouldn't spend more than an hour at any of the parks unless you are ice skating and drinking a hot chocolate. Dress warm. 

The The Signature Lounge at the Hancock Building for drinks is o.k. not a local's fav but makes for a nice picture for first timers. Cindy's Rooftop Bar on Michigan Avenue after Millenium Park for brunch is a nice choice with a view. 

Architecture tour is nice and informative, dress warm. 

The The Art Institute of Chicago Museum is pretty large and you can easily spend all day in there. I would give myself at least 4 hours to see the "must-sees" also a quick walk from Millenium Park and the like. 

For a nice picture of the whole skyline, I would go by the Shedd AquariumAdler Planetarium or Field Museum of Natural History. Day or night, it's a nice view and walk along the lake. 

Water Tower Place and Navy Pier aren't too impressive. At Navy Pier the ferris wheel is o.k. 

For shopping, Michigan Avenue

For food, River North or West Loop on Restaurant Row. 

1. Chicago (city)
  2. Chicago Riverwalk (attraction)
  3. Loop (attraction)
  4. North State Street (attraction)
  5. The Chicago Theatre (attraction)
  6. Millennium Park (attraction)
  7. Maggie Daley Park Rock Climbing (attraction)
  8. Grant Park (attraction)
  9. The Signature Lounge (attraction)
  10. Hancock Building (attraction)
  11. Cindy's Rooftop Bar (restaurant)
  12. Michigan Avenue (attraction)
  13. The Art Institute of Chicago Museum (attraction)
  14. Shedd Aquarium (attraction)
  15. Adler Planetarium (attraction)
  16. Field Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  17. Water Tower Place (attraction)
  18. Navy Pier (attraction)
  19. River North (neighborhood)
  20. West Loop (neighborhood)

Melody from Chicago

Unless you have kids, I would skip Navy Pier Shedd Aquarium is cool, but be prepared for long lines and a costly admission. My favorite is The Field Museum of Natural History out of all the museums Chicago has to offer.  

If you’re feeling adventurous, the Garfield Park Conservatory is really amazing/beautiful and not touristy at all. It’s a place where actual Chicagoans like to go when they want to step away from the madness of the city.

1. Navy Pier (attraction)
  2. Shedd Aquarium (attraction)
  3. Field Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  4. Chicago (city)
  5. Garfield Park Conservatory (attraction)

Dabs from Chicago

I can't tell if you've already been or not but if it's after November 17th, you might want to check out ice skating at Millennium Park or the skating ribbon at Maggie Daley Park.  At the The Art Institute of Chicago, the Thorne miniature rooms are decorated for Christmas starting on November 18th.  If you are here before November 19th, you might look into tickets for School of Rock at the Cadillac Palace Theatre.  Hottix had good seats at 1/2 price

1. Millennium Park (attraction)
  2. Maggie Daley Park (attraction)
  3. The Art Institute of Chicago (attraction)
  4. Cadillac Palace Theatre (attraction)

John from Chicago

Not sure if you're averse to the cold or if you like sports, but you could check out a Bears game at Soldier Field.

If you prefer to stay indoors more, all the museums here are really good. If you hang out around Museum Campus there is the Shedd AquariumAdler Planetarium, and Field Museum of Natural History.

The amount of time you spend at The Art Institute of Chicago really depends on your preferences, but it is nice that you can walk over the bridgeway from The Bean.

If you're near the Hancock and water tower, you can also check out the Museum of Contemporary Art which is smaller but in a nice neighborhood area. I'm assuming you'll walk down 900 N Michigan Ave and there are tons of restaurants and bars in the Gold Coast.

In November, they might have the Christmas window displays around State Street, that's a popular area to walk around.

Farther north, Lincoln Park Zoo is free and they have their ZooLights around end of November.

Try the Chicago mix of Garrett Popcorn Shops if you're not from here.

1. Soldier Field (attraction)
  2. Museum Campus (attraction)
  3. Shedd Aquarium (attraction)
  4. Adler Planetarium (attraction)
  5. Field Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  6. The Art Institute of Chicago (attraction)
  7. The Bean (attraction)
  8. Museum of Contemporary Art (attraction)
  9. 900 N Michigan Ave (attraction)
  10. Gold Coast (neighborhood)
  11. State Street (attraction)
  12. Lincoln Park Zoo (attraction)
  13. Garrett Popcorn Shops (restaurant)