Jamie

Places to take friends while they are visiting this weekend

I have a group of friends visiting this weekend and was hoping to show them some places around the city that are pretty unique to Chicago. I'm sure we will do Willis Tower and Millennium Park but was looking for a few other cool activities or places to check out. They aren't real big on restaurants so they would prefer bars. 

Thanks

Davo from Chicago

I would actually recommend the Hancock Building rather than the Willis Tower. It has an arguably better view of the downtown and lakefront. The top floor is a restaurant/bar, so you can go have a drink or two while enjoying the view (which would still be cheaper than the $25 they gouge you for at the Sears Tower).

1. Hancock Building (attraction)
  2. Willis Tower (attraction)

Dabs from Chicago

Second City is unique to Chicago, it might be a little late to get a lot of tickets but since it's off season it's possible.  In the same neighborhood is the Chicago History Museum, I just saw either a Groupon or living Social deal for 1/2 off admission.  I don't do bars anymore but I'm sure there are a ton up in Lincoln Park.

I'd also go to theHancock Building over the Willis Tower, you can go to the The Signature Lounge and have an expensive drink and still get the view without going to the Observatory.

Outside, you might take them to the Maggie Daley Ice Skating Ribbon at Maggie Daley park.

I was going to try out Three Dots and a Dash this weekend but ended up giving it a pass because of the weather, tiki bars seem to be all the rage this year.

1. Second City (attraction)
  2. Chicago History Museum (attraction)
  3. Hancock Building (attraction)
  4. Willis Tower (attraction)
  5. The Signature Lounge (attraction)
  6. Three Dots and a Dash (attraction)
  7. Maggie Daley Ice Skating Ribbon (attraction)

Lori from Holland, Michigan

Depends on what kind of bar experience they're looking for. If they're into good beer, try Haymarket Pub & Brewery or Revolution Brewing. I always like the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum right in Lincoln Park, a quiet thing to do that's not as overcrowded as the zoo. 

If the weather is particularly cold or nasty, try the pedway pub crawl!

Backstage tours are fun too, especially the Lyric Opera of Chicago tour.  

Maybe the coolest thing to do at night is Lincoln Karaoke - private room karaoke which is a great time with a group of friends! 

Sometimes if you go on Groupon or Living Social, you can find some cool tours too, like food tours of Chicago, Haunted Chicago, or Movie Tours of Chicago. 

1. Haymarket Pub & Brewery (attraction)
  2. Revolution Brewing (restaurant)
  3. Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum (attraction)
  4. Lyric Opera of Chicago (attraction)
  5. Lincoln Karaoke (attraction)

Sharon from Riverwoods

All of our museums are awesome. My favorite is the The Art Institute of Chicago. It has so many wonderful notable works of art. A great indoor venue for this time of year. Really world class.

1. The Art Institute of Chicago (attraction)

Scott from Chicago

52EIGHTY Rooftop Lounge is a trendy spot for private events, they won't be open to the public until April though. I really like Old Town Pour House, great beer selection. 

1. 52EIGHTY Rooftop Lounge (attraction)
  2. Old Town Pour House (attraction)