Judith asked

Kid friendly activities in Kansas along I-70?

Need to plan a midway stop between Durango and Kansas City, MO. We like history, hands on activities, hiking, and nature. We are moving from Tucson to Western Ontario!!!

Chicago   Durango   Kansas

It is shorter to go from Durango to Kansas City (Missouri) without doing the whole trip on I-70.  If you go up to Denver to catch I-70 it will add time and distance.
The halfway point between Durango and Kansas City seems to be about at Kit Carson and that's just before you get on I-70 and speed through the flat area of Kansas.
The driving time of each half is just about the same although the mileage of the second half of the trip is longer.
Kit Carson has a museum, a little park and a historic carousel (which may or may not be open when you get there). This area does not have much in the way of any kind of touristic attractions - kid friendly or not.

Judith
Thanks for your reply. Kit Carson looks a bit underwhelming. I have been uncovering information about the historic Santa Fe trail, which in modern times coincides with highway 50. Following the old Santa Fe Trail seems full of history lessons. Dodge City may make for a good stop after a long day's drive from Durango. The following day could be a bit more leisurely, with stops to visit historical attractions. Tall Grass Prairie Preserve and a detour up to Cedar Grove will take us toward I 70.

Judith
http://worldfamousgunfighters.weebly.com/santa-fe-trail.html

1. Durango (city)
  2. Kansas City (Missouri) (attraction)
  3. Kit Carson (city)
Julie from United States
Moon Marble Company is one of the most fun places near Kansas City!

Julie
https://www.moonmarble.com

1. Moon Marble Company (attraction)