Yi

Yi asked

Is my hotel Best Western Grant Park safe in Chicago?

I came from Canada and had very bad experience in US 5 years ago. I have to attend a conference in Chicago this June. All I wonder is my hotel, Best Western Grant Park in Chicago is safe? My conference centre is in Hilton Chicago, which takes 5 mins walk from this hotel. I wonder if it is safe to walk for 5 mins by myself during the day.

Chicago (Illinois)

Ramon

This part of town is relatively safe during the day. You will be totally fine. It's the touristy part of downtown. Great things to see like the Millennium Park.

1. Millennium Park (attraction)
John from Chicago

The Best Western Grant Park is right by Michigan Ave and the lake, and it's generally safe. During the day it should be no problem to walk up Michigan Ave to the Hilton Chicago.

In June, it should also stay light out pretty late so after the conference you should be able to walk back with sunlight. It is still the city, so in general you want to be aware of your surroundings. Since you're not a local, I would probably pay attention while walking, and don't listen to music or use your phone at the same time. You could also see if anyone from the conference is willing to walk you back, it's a short distance.

Overall though, this area should be safe.

Nan

Absolutely safe to walk in downtown Chicago these days.

1. Chicago (city)
Dan from Chicago

That is one of the safer areas in the city.  Contrary to popular belief, Chicagois not a war zone like the news portrays it.  While there is a lot of violence, it is consolidated to a few neighborhoods in the city.  As with any major metro you should be aware of your surroundings but walking on N Michigan Ave is safe because it is a high volume traffic street at most hours of night.  You will catch a cab nearly immediately if you prefer not to walk too.  It is also a heavily policed area near Grant Park.

1. Chicago (city)
  2. N Michigan Ave (attraction)
Melody from Chicago

I am in the area on a daily basis; both hotels are across the street from the park and in touristy part of town where there are a lot of other hotels, restaurants, schools, and shops in the area so it is very populated.  You should be relatively safe walking from one hotel to another. However, as with any other big city common sense is key when getting around.  The other posters on this thread have provided some great advice. 

I hang out around there. You can get cabs easy. I walk all over Chicago My son walked all over every bad neighborhood at night. You will have fun.

1. Chicago (city)
Dabs from Chicago

Michigan Avenue is a very busy street, if you are coming back at a normal time it's safe and as a female I wouldn't have trouble walking 5 minutes between the hotel and the conference.  Chicago is a big city and the advice from the other posters is good, pay attention to your surroundings