Kimberly
Harrison, Michigan

Daughters 16th bday

I'm taking my daughter to Chicago for her 16th bday...any suggestions for an amazing dinner surprise. We have been to the city once for short shopping and siteseeing trip. We are going for 6 full days and planning on shedds aquarium, field museum for sure....would maybe like a fun show. I'm looking for upscale and over looking the water as this is a special birthday

Rob from Chicago

For shows you could take her to Blue Man Group or maybe Second City. You could do dinner on top of the John Hancock Building on the 95th floor overlooking the entire city and skyline.

Kathy from Chicago

Can never go wrong with gibsons for dinner.  

For a fun show, blue man group. Have fun!!!

Gary

The 95th resturant on top of the John Hancock Center.

1. John Hancock Center (attraction)

Janice

The Park Grill at Millennium Park is a great place for a birthday  dinner and you can take a picture at The Bean. They have a Prix Fixe Menu an you can walk over to one of the theaters after dinner if you want. Depending on what time of year you are coming, you will find many different things to do at the park.

Another place that has a ton of restaurants is Navy Pier - Riva Crab House (great view of the lake) and Harry Caray's Tavern are both great. Navy Pier is a must see place whether you go for dinner or not. Ride the largest Ferris Wheel in the world - visit The Crystal Garden - take a river cruise. Navy Pier is also home to the Shakespeare Theater and they have entertainment of all sorts up and down the pier. You can go to the only Stained Glass Museum in the world and the have ice cream at Ben and Jerry's.  

The Harry Caray's at the Water Tower Place is a fun place as well. This will put you in the center of shops and entertainment. It is a vertical shopping mall and it has some of the cutest shops and restaurant ever. Right next door is the The Drake Hotel and they serve High Tea and they also have a tour with tea. Really different and fun. The Signature Room has one of the best views and food in the city. Make sue you ask for a table by the window and tell them it is a birthday. You will be on the 95th floor of the Hancock Building so the view is amazing. Get desert!!!!

1. Millennium Park (attraction)
  2. Water Tower Place (attraction)
  3. The Drake Hotel (hotel)
  4. Hancock Building (attraction)
  5. Navy Pier (attraction)

Sharon from Chicago

Blue Man for theater is fun. Shopping N Michigan Ave if she is a shopper. Navy Peir for sure with a boat ride and a Rainbow cone. The Wendelas down the Chicago river great. Lots of good places to eat on the river also. Smith & Wollensky - Chicago for steak and seafood or Dick's Last Resort for fun and food. Very special food and view is at The Signature Room at the 95th in the Hancock, but only with clear sky for a good view. Take a Trolley or double decker bus for some sightseeing. Get the City Pass for museums. Check to see if Randolph Street is open on your weekend or other neighborhood fairs may be going on. There is almost always a sporting event if she is interested. Check Chicago Reader for events during your stay. I hope she likes to walk. We're a great walking city if your getting out to different neighborhoods.

1. N Michigan Ave (attraction)
  2. Smith & Wollensky - Chicago (restaurant)
  3. Dick's Last Resort (restaurant)
  4. The Signature Room at the 95th (restaurant)
  5. Randolph Street (attraction)

Jaime from Chicago
A great place to go for food and views of the water as well as Grant park is Cindy's Rooftop Bar.  As it often gets crowded and you sometimes need a reservation well in advance, I'd also recommend trying Sixteen at Trump tower, or Travelle.  I personally find that the views of the cityscape along the River are more pleasant than looking at lake. If you prefer to look at the lake, The Signature Room at the 95thRiva Restaurant on Navy Pier.  If you want to have a view of skyscrapers and a quiet and casual meal, the Sky Terrace at The Ivy Boutique Hotel is relatively inexpensive and has a no frills menu.

1. Cindy's Rooftop Bar (restaurant)
  2. Sixteen (restaurant)
  3. Travelle (attraction)
  5. Riva Restaurant on Navy Pier (restaurant)
  6. The Ivy Boutique Hotel (hotel)

Dino from Chicago

It really depends what you like

Mindy's Hot Chocolate is an upscale restaurant with gourmet hot chocolate and dessert. I'm not a fan of Hot choc, but this is the best I've ever had. Not cheap but worth every penny. They change their menu every month or so.

Other places - 

Kuma's Corner

Sultan's Market

Snow Dragon Shavery

Chinatown Chicago

Lula Café

Girl & the Goat

90 Miles Cuban Cafe

Each neighborhood has it's specialty. 

1. Mindy's Hot Chocolate (restaurant)
  2. Kuma's Corner (restaurant)
  3. Sultan's Market (restaurant)
  4. Snow Dragon Shavery (restaurant)
  5. Chinatown Chicago (attraction)
  6. Lula Café (restaurant)
  7. Girl & the Goat (restaurant)
  8. 90 Miles Cuban Cafe (restaurant)

Leslie from Minneapolis

The Art Institute of Chicago is a great museum. Have lunch in there upscale dining room. Then wander around Millennium Parkwhich is next door.

1. The Art Institute of Chicago (attraction)
  2. Millennium Park (attraction)

Dabs from Chicago

My answer would depend on her tastes, when I was 16 my favorite food was pizza and I loved going to Benihana's for the show.  Now I request seafood every year and go to Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab.  I love a good steakhouse too, my favorite is Morton's The Steakhouse which has multiple locations.  For sure, try the pizza, Lou Malnati's Pizzeria is good for deep dish, Giordano's Pizza for stuffed.  Across the street from Girl & the Goat is the easier to get into Little Goat Bakery, we've eaten there twice in the last month and loved it.  Chinatown has a lot of fun places to eat, I like MingHin Cuisine for dimsum, JOY YEE - CHINATOWN or Lao Sze Chuan for a little more upscale Chinese.

Blue Man Group is perfect for someone that age, Second City for a mature 16 year old, a lot of the humor is political.  Check Broadway in Chicago to see what Broadway type shows are playing, I think 16 is a little young for Book of Mormon but then again I don't have kids.  It is offensive in spots, lots of swearing but if you like South Park, then have a look at it.

Look into the City Pass for attractions, it may save you money if you are planning on hitting the top spots.  The Shedd, Field, Adler, Science and Art Institute are on it as well as the two observatories at the Hancock and Sears (Willis if you are not from Chicago)

1. Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab (restaurant)
  2. Morton's The Steakhouse (restaurant)
  3. Lou Malnati's Pizzeria (restaurant)
  4. Giordano's Pizza (restaurant)
  5. Girl & the Goat (restaurant)
  6. Little Goat Bakery (restaurant)
  7. MingHin Cuisine (restaurant)
  8. JOY YEE - CHINATOWN (restaurant)
  9. Lao Sze Chuan (restaurant)