Rafael
Naples

Rafael from Naples asked

Chicago river boat: good or no?

Next year I and my girlfriend will visit Chicago in May.  I hear there is good river boat to ride and see the city.  Is it good?  Do you have advice for good boat and good company for tour?

Monica

Yes! Wendella Boats is probably the best company to use. It is the best tour of Chicago and definitely worth doing.

Rafael
Thank you for advice! This is good information!

1. Wendella Boats (attraction)
Ted from Chicago

The one run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise is more informative as they have local experts speaking about each building and the history. The Wendella Boats are a little more laid back if you are not so keen on knowing in depth information. You can also rent an Electric boat inside the Marina Towers.  For more adventurous folks, you can either canoe or kayak the river through Chicago Kayak or Friends of the Chicago River. However you choose to tackle the Chicago River, it is beautiful and a great and unique way to see the city.

Rafael
Thank you for advice! Nice to know there is different boat :)

Jae from Singapore

I'm a Chicago native and took the architectural tour for the first time recently- I highly recommend it! We took ours from one of the companies offering them in Navy Pier. You can make a day of it by walking to the John Hancock Observatory afterwards to catch the sunset. Go to the 95th and grab a drink instead of paying for just the observatory. 

Rafael
Thank you for advice!

1. Navy Pier (attraction)
  2. John Hancock Observatory (attraction)
CJ from Los Angeles

Definitely do one of the boat tours. There are several companies that operate these tours, multiple times a day. I can't speak to any companies in particular, but find one that fits your schedule, and I would not recommend booking too far in advance, as the weather can be tricky (but should be great in May), and you want to book on a nice day out. Some companies include a sunset dinner or lunch aboard the boat as well, so there are many choices to choose from. All of the architectural boat tours cover roughly the same route. ·

Rafael
Thank you for advice! I will try to dinner on the boat!

Jillian from Los Angeles

I'd definitely recommend Wendella Boats. The tour company was professional, and I learned a lot about the city. We also got to take a quick ride on the lake around sunset which was beautiful!

If you have the time (and aren't afraid of heights), I would go over to the Willis Tower and check out the Skydeck from 103 floors up. It's a great place to learn some history, take in the incredible view, and if you're feeling brave you can walk out (or crawl like I did) on the glass ledge to experience the view straight down. 

Rafael
The Willis Tower sound amazing! Thank you for advice!

Jillian
You're welcome, Rafael! Happy to help and I'm from Chicago so let me know if I can help with anything else. :)

1. Wendella Boats (attraction)
  2. Willis Tower (attraction)