Mark
Norman

Mark from Norman asked

Best beach in or near Chicago

Where is the best place to catch some sun and shore in or near Chicago?

Kristin from Chicago

You really can't go wrong! If you're looking for a fun place to lay out, play volleyball, swim, etc. I would recommend either North Avenue Beach or Oak Street Beach. There is a bar (shaped like a boat) called Castaways near North Avenue that has bathrooms,etc. and a lot of people hang out there, otherwise the beach off of Oak Street has some restaurants as well. The beach off of Fullerton BeachClark/Fullerton is fun, but further away from all of the action so it's more secluded if you want a quieter spot. These are all off of Lake Shore Drive, so if you follow the path/street names you'll run right into them.

1. North Avenue Beach (attraction)
  2. Oak Street Beach (attraction)
  3. Castaways (restaurant)
  4. Fullerton Beach (attraction)
Melanio from San Diego

North Avenue Beach (by Downtown)

Kathy Osterman (Hollywood) Beach (North side/Edgewater area)

Fullerton Beach (in between the two above)

Michael from Chicago

Oak Street Beach for the proximity to the downtown area. You can also walk to North Avenue Beach, You can also rent a bike on the lakefront and visit all of the Chicago beaches. Remember Saturday night has free fireworks at Navy Pier.

1. Oak Street Beach (attraction)
  2. North Avenue Beach (attraction)
  3. Chicago (city)
  4. Navy Pier (attraction)
Ann from Panama City Beach

I agree with Kristin!  Both Oak Street Beach and North Avenue Beach are on the bike path so you can bike there.  We really prefer Oak street because we love the Oak Street Beachstro restaurant on the beach,  great food and great people watching.  And you are across from the Drake Hotel so it is an easy hop to Magnificent Mile!

1. Oak Street Beach (attraction)
  2. North Avenue Beach (attraction)
  3. Oak Street Beachstro (restaurant)
  4. Drake Hotel (attraction)
  5. Magnificent Mile (attraction)
Dabs from Chicago

Oak Street Beach and North Avenue Beach are the two most central to the tourist areas and the most populated if that is what you are looking for.

If you are coming in from out of town from the east and want to stop at a beach, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Wherever you go, please pay attention to any markings at the beach about weather conditions, there have already been several deaths this year, all preventable.

The lakefront trail runs pretty much the length of Chicago, I think it's about 18 miles.  Consider renting a bike and riding some of it, it's a beautiful way to spend a summer day.

http://www.chicagobikes.org/pdf/lakefront_trail061608.pdf

Hey Kristi, community manager here to let you know that Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore has been properly mapped! If you see something mismapped in the future, please do hit the Feedback button at the top of any page to let us know and we'll look into it. Thanks so much for sharing this! :)

Dabs
Thanks, wasn't sure how to get that fixed. I'll edit my response

Ysmay from Alfred, New York

I like Hartigan Beach Park. It tends to be a bit quieter in my experience. Foster Beach is also quite lovely, although slightly more developed.

1. Hartigan Beach Park (attraction)
  2. Foster Beach (attraction)
Rita from Chicago

Oak Street Beach near the Drake Hotel

1. Oak Street Beach (attraction)
Jeff from Grand Rapids

I have only been to two beaches in Chicago and have thought both were very nice!  North Avenue Beach was very fun, lots to do and see but was a little more crowded than I like.  Evanston Beach was beautiful, but not as much stuff to do sport-wise.  I guess it depends on what you want todo at the beach.

I looked into what some of the other good beaches were and found this article on gochicago.com..

http://gochicago.about.com/od/chicagoactivities/tp/top_beaches.htm

1. North Avenue Beach (attraction)
  2. Evanston Beach (attraction)
Carrie from Boston

1. Oak Street Beach (attraction)
J Santiago from Mexico City, Mexico

1. Evanston Beach (attraction)