Stephen

Best Italian restaurants?

Looking for some great Italian restaurants in downtown Chicago. Any suggestions?

Joan from San Diego

1. The Florentine on Ashland just north of Diversey is a wonderful family-run restaurant with a nice outdoor area which is sealed and heated during colder months,  

2. Mia Figlia on Devon is another small family run restaurant with a constantly changing menu. 

3. Gioco in the South Loop is also consistently excellent although a bit pricier than the first two.  

4. Tuscany Taylor on Taylor Street is an old time favorite just on the outskirts of Little Italy. street Parking is tough but they have a reasonably priced.valet. If it's summer, save a tiny bit of room and leave your car with the valet. And take a 1.5 block stroll west (away from the expressway) to Mario's Italian Ice, a real Chicago institution. 

Buon appettito!

1. The Florentine (restaurant)
  2. Mia Figlia (restaurant)
  3. Gioco (restaurant)
  4. Tuscany Taylor (restaurant)

Teresa from Chicago, Illinois

Riccardo Trattoria in Lincoln Park neighborhood is amazing. 

1. Riccardo Trattoria (restaurant)

Rob from Chicago

1. RPM Italian (restaurant)
  2. Siena Tavern (restaurant)
  3. Volare (restaurant)

Bryan from Newburgh, Indiana

This depends on what you mean by "downtown," but if you're simply referring to the city instead of the suburbs, La Scarola just northwest of downtown near Ogden and Grand is incredible.

1. La Scarola (restaurant)

Tim from Chicago

I like Volare a lot, and it easy to get to if you are staying downtown/Michigan Ave area. Rosebud is good, but a little too much like a chain now to me. Siena Tavern is fun and usually very busy. I haven't been to Trattoria 10 in a long time, but is was always excellent- only drawback is that it's in a basement and lacks windows. La Scarola is another really good call!

1. Volare (restaurant)
  2. Siena Tavern (restaurant)
  3. La Scarola (restaurant)

Lauren from Chicago

Hi Stephen,

Some of my favorites are La Scarola (tiny space, giant portions, handwritten menu), Davanti Enoteca (the Little Italy location), Dolce Italian (great new addition to River North), Balena (great homemade pastas), and Siena Tavern and Nico Osteria for trendier options. 

1. La Scarola (restaurant)
  2. Davanti Enoteca (restaurant)
  3. Dolce Italian (restaurant)
  4. Balena (restaurant)
  5. Siena Tavern (restaurant)
  6. Nico Osteria (restaurant)

Holly from Chicago

1. Spiaggia (attraction)

Richard from Costa Rica

As a native Chicagoan I can tell you Italian food is AWESOME in the windy city and its neighboring areas. I hope you love Pizza because its special there. Home Run Inn Pizza & Family Restaurant, comes to mind as one of the finest, Barones Pizza and probably dozens if not hundreds of others that can compete with the best in the world. I wish I was there to eat some with butter crust and lots of cheese and garlic. Lucky you!

1. Home Run Inn Pizza & Family Restaurant (restaurant)

Dabs from Chicago

My favorite is Rosebud, there are several locations and the ones closest to downtown will be Rosebud on Rush or Rosebud Theater District.  I prefer going to the original Rosebud in Little Italy but it takes some work to get there from downtown without a car.  La Scarola is good but not technically downtown.  I haven't been to Osteria Via Stato in years but it still gets good reviews.  Quartino is popular for small plates.

1. Rosebud on Rush (restaurant)
  2. Rosebud Theater District (restaurant)
  3. Rosebud (restaurant)
  4. La Scarola (restaurant)
  5. Osteria Via Stato (restaurant)
  6. Quartino (restaurant)

Sharon from Riverwoods

Volare is very good as is Rosebud's ( I think it's on State Street)

1. Volare (restaurant)
  2. Rosebud's (restaurant)

ross from Chicago

1. Francesca's on Taylor (restaurant)
  2. Mia Francesca (restaurant)