Tony
Seattle

Chiang Mai

Remarkable things to do in Chiang Mai?

We're going to be in Chiang Mai for Loi Krathong (the lantern festival) in a week.  Beyond watching a zillion lanterns fly off into the sky, I'm not real clear on what else there is to do there.  We don't want to be too active given the heat, but we're happy to do some walking in the mornings.  We love food and great scenery.  And we love beaches-- which Chiang Mai obviously doesn't have.  So what do you do on a non-beach Thailand vacation?

Claude from France

Chiang Mai

Hi Tony

you have a lot of things to do in  CHIANGMAI.

The city itself is very intresting with its ramparts and moats.

Warorot market: The flower market
Many very good restaurant and it is very lively evening model. See the ChangPhuak Night Market
Three restaurants along the Ping River excellent with a very good entertainment ,music, dance…:

Riverside Bar & RestaurantThe Good View and The Gallery Restaurant

Bo-sanga village about 8km:  village of manufacturing umbrellas, lacquer basketry, silver objects.
Baan Tawai, 15km , for ceramics and furniture and wooden objects
San Kamphaeng Walking Street for woven silk and cotton garments.
Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep  temple.
  Mae Sa Elephant Camp

You should also go to see the spectacle of elephants in MAESA ELEPHANT CAMP..

Have a good trip

1. Chiang Mai (city)
  2. Warorot market (attraction)
  3. ChangPhuak Night Market (restaurant)
  4. Riverside Bar & Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. The Good View (restaurant)
  6. The Gallery Restaurant (attraction)
  7. Bo-sang (attraction)
  8. Baan Tawai (attraction)
  9. San Kamphaeng Walking Street (attraction)
  10. Mae Sa Elephant Camp (attraction)
  11. Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (attraction)

Konstantin from Moscow

I can recommend visit  Doi Suthep-Pui National Park and  Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep it'll be awesome trip. Also recommend  choose hotel inside  Chiang Mai Square District Have a nice trip.

1. Doi Suthep-Pui National Park (attraction)
  2. Chiang Mai Square District (neighborhood)
  3. Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (attraction)

Jim from San Diego

My favorite activities in Chiang Mai are (1) exploring the old city, and (2) visiting temples and learning about their history.

The word "Chiang" in several city names (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Seang, etc.) is said to mean "City", similar to in America, we have Seattle and Chicago, but we always say Atlantic City, and we always say Kansas City. Chiang actually in history meant "walled city". And the word "Mai" means "new", so Chiang Mai is the New Walled City. King Mengrai build Chiang Rai, but it was too close to Burma, and the Burmese kept fighting with his people, so he and two neighboring kings laid out the new walled city, Chiang Mai, and added a moat around the wall. Walk all the way around the moat/wall (about 5 km), and visit temples you see.

Visit Wat Chiang Man, the oldest temple in the old city, built by King Mengrai when he was supervising the construction of the Chiang Mai. Visit the two important temples, Wat Chedi Luang and Wat Phra Singh. Other favorite and significant temples are Wat Lok Molee, Wat Sri Suphan, Wat Suan Dok. As has already been said, visit Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep. And on the way down the mountain, absolutely stop at Wat Palad, an amazing temple in the jungle/forest. Two other favorites of mine are Wat Umong, and Wat Jet Yod

1. Wat Chiang Man (attraction)
  2. Wat Chedi Luang (attraction)
  3. Wat Phra Singh (attraction)
  4. Wat Lok Molee (attraction)
  5. Wat Sri Suphan (attraction)
  6. Wat Suan Dok (attraction)
  7. Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (attraction)
  8. Wat Palad (attraction)
  9. Wat Umong (attraction)
  10. Wat Jet Yod (attraction)

Duyen from Hội An

These are some highlights you shouldn't miss when you are in Chiang Mai: Wat Phan TaoWualai Walking Street (Saturday night market),Suthep templeTribal MuseumElephant nature park,... There are also many local restaurants as The Tea Tree Café

You can view this itinerary for 3 days in Chiang Mai for more information. It includes the recommended hotel, things to do and what to see in Chiang Mai.

Diana

Chiang Mai is an incredible city with so much to do. I know, for many, seeing elephants is at the top of the list. Sadly, I worked in elephant tourism there for many years and the abuse I saw and the exploitation I saw broke my heart. Please be mindful when deciding on your elephant experience. I highly suggest Elephant Nature Park Office. Run by Save Elephant Foundation, it is a sanctuary which rescues elephants from the tourism industry and other abusive conditions and lets them live freely. You can take a day trip and walk through the park and observe the elephants, as well as feed them and bathe them. They don't use any instruments to control the animals there and it is truly an amazing experience.

I also suggest heading to Sri Lanna National Park. It is a bit of a ride to get there (you can hire a red truck) but it is gorgeous. You take a long tail boat out into the lake and there is a floating restaurant, places to eat and rooms to stay the night. 

If you want to hang out with locals, the hip and college area of Nimmanhaemin is good for that. By day, it is loaded with cute coffee shops and places to eat and at night it has some of the hottest clubs in town. 

Depending on your time, I also suggest heading to Chiang Rai and seeing the White Temple.

I have written a lot about my time in Chiang Mai, so if you want some more tips, check here: http://www.dtravelsround.com/search/chiang+mai

One final note: you are going in high season, so book your accommodations and tours as soon as you can. Loi Krathong in Chiang Mai is packed.

1. Elephant Nature Park Office (attraction)